Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Oh that's a bit of a worry. The only things I can think of that cause excessive thirst are egg binding ( peritonitis ) , crop impaction , kidney or liver damage salmonella or metal poisoning. I'd be inclined to strip the coop and run and wash it down, check for rancid scraps of food, check the feed storage for mould , up the vitamins in the water , worm them all again and closely monitor them.
Could be a combination of the moult and parasites bringing them down, which is definately the lesser of 2 evils.:)

Can you get salmonella from drinking watery diareah? Cause that's what they kept doing, I had to drill a little drip hole because otherwise Carl was drinking her own but then that pair would try and drink what dribbled out the hole. I had to keep kicking dirt over the wet spot but they did beat me at times.

I actually think colonel could also be compacted in her crop but I have caught her eating the nest box bedding so not sure if that is what I'm feeling in the morning. will know better after a couple days locked away from other food sources. She is eating like she is starving though where Karl just scratched at food but didn't eat when she had it.

@satay and @MyHaven Karl has never come back 100% to normal poop after her impaction months and months ago and unless I lock her up with food and no dirt etc till lunchtime tends to slip backwards again but has put on weight and condition again. Just has softer poops than the rest but at least the last week or so it's finally started having white in it again.

Oh and I wormed them 10 days before Mother's Day. Repeat? And same wormer or one that targets different types of worms? Used piperazine solution which just says round worms. Also have another one somewhere does more types but I can never get them to drink it.

Last edited:
Can you get salmonella from drinking watery diareah? Cause that's what they kept doing, I had to drill a little drip hole because otherwise Carl was drinking her own but then that pair would try and drink what dribbled out the hole. I had to keep kicking dirt over the wet spot but they did beat me at times.

I actually think colonel could also be compacted in her crop but I have caught her eating the nest box bedding so not sure if that is what I'm feeling in the morning. will know better after a couple days locked away from other food sources. She is eating like she is starving though where Karl just scratched at food but didn't eat when she had it.

@satay and @MyHaven Karl has never come back 100% to normal poop after her impaction months and months ago and unless I lock her up with food and no dirt etc till lunchtime tends to slip backwards again but has put on weight and condition again. Just has softer poops than the rest but at least the last week or so it's finally started having white in it again.

Oh and I wormed them 10 days before Mother's Day. Repeat? And same wormer or one that targets different types of worms? Used piperazine solution which just says round worms. Also have
another one somewhere does more types but I can never get them to drink it.

It's not uncommon for them to have a slow digestive system once they have suffered impaction. What kind of bedding are you using ?

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for them to have a slow digestive system once they have suffered impaction. What kind of bedding are you using ?

At the moment just dirt floor because I don't trust them not to eat the wood shavings I usually have in there. The nest box has a bit of pet bedding straw in it.

At the moment just dirt floor because I don't trust them not to eat the wood shavings I usually have in there. The nest box has a bit of pet bedding straw in it.

I'd get rid of the straw too, I'm using oaten straw ATM, and no one has attempted to eat except the goats. I stopped using wood shavings when I lost several chicks in the brooder. I know it doesn't leave you with many options. But you could try shredded paper, sand or if you have a pine forest nearby, pine needles are said to have good anti parasitic qualities. :)

Ok construction pic ahoy. We have done more to the coop since this was taken, I'm just taking a break though from an assessment atm. Agnes is also no longer broody, raising her sleeping crate worked.

I did hesitate when posting that pic, thought mm, satay will think I'm showing off with all that green stuff. :lau
Seriously people say they don't want white silkies cause they get dirty. I've never washed those boys and it has rained to the extent that everyone needs gumboots.
Our new horse from QLD arrives on Thursday, poor bugger is in for a shock, 28 there , 13 here. At least he's had a few days in Melbourne to acclimatize . His new rug came this morning , now we just have to fit him up for gumboots. :D

I have/had white silkies and a white ara and they are sparkling clean. I have two leghorns and they get dusty.

Can't wait for the stunning new horse pics.

I have/had white silkies and a white ara and they are sparkling clean. I have two leghorns and they get dusty.

Can't wait for the stunning new horse pics.

Here's a sneak peak.

Mabel's crop felt quite firm and I caught her eating some bits of straw that had been strewn about on the grass. Fingers crossed it's empty in the morning. I don't want her to have any problems.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on the site in weeks! The site refused to work for me for a while. Did that happen to anyone else? It could have been something to do with the connection at my place.

How is everyone? I hope you and your chooks are all well.

I have over 1000 unread posts on this thread... looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do. :7

Back
Top Bottom