Australian Shepherd chicken chasing …

Exactly what these posters said.. I have a border collie (my avatar) who has a strong prey drive.. she also came to be hyper-dog aggressive. Never raised a tooth towards a human, but any dog within sight wasn't safe, on or off leash (She dug a prong collar into her own neck until it was bleeding to get at another dog). A year and a half of training taught her impulse control. Now I can have her off leash at a dog park without any problems.

However, she still has her prey drive.. no bunny, squirrel, or wild bird is safe in our yard and they've learned it. But at the same time, she won't chase or harass the chickens or my parrots. How did she learn? Training. I nipped the issue in the bud when the chicks first came home. My parrot (a cockatiel) had already taught her not to bother parrots by biting her right on the nose. I popped her on the butt for trying it too. When I brought the chicks home and put them in the brooder (a large plastic crate), I saw 'that gleam' come back in her eye. The lips raised in a silent snarl and her body lowered, readying to pounce. Oh no! That was not going to happen. Grabbing her by the collar, I made her look me in the eye and told her firmly, "These are mama's.. You do NOT touch. That's a NO!" The ears went back and she looked again at the crate and backed off.

After that, we took the chicks out to the yard and brought her on a leash, letting her see them, but the leash made sure she couldn't touch them. A ball was also used as a reward/distraction. There was another attempt at her 'predator' behavior that was firmly corrected. What works for her is to break her eye contact on her target and make her think of something else. Break the train of thought, so to speak. Soon, she was laying at ease within three feet of the chicks and even sniffed the bum on one with a curious. The chick turned around and cheeped at her, and she looked away towards us. Immediate praise for not harming the chick in any way.

Now, I can trust her alone in the yard with them. She protects our little flock of 9 hens from hawks (the only predator that can really get in our yard). She has even intercepted a hawk mid-stoop and saved our silkie from certain death. She also learned what I think of as an important lesson.. Chickens are not food. They are the path TO food. We often give our chickens kitchen leftovers as treats.. plain rice, corn, oats, spaghetti, etc.. pretty much anything that isn't slathered in spices or sauces. Diamond gets to share in the treats when the chickens are done. When they get corn on the cob, so does she. The only tooth she's offered to our chickens since was a warning snap at our Polish who was trying to get a bite of Diamond's corn. But Diamond was only reacting as she would towards any dog that was too close to her treat. Just a warning snap of "back off", not a true attempt to bite.

Our chickens do not fear Diamond. They can often be found grazing within inches of her (I've even caught our bantam cochin eating grass between Diamond's front paws). They are wary of her when she's running, but only because they don't want to get stepped on. When they've gone broody, they have even attacked HER. Diamond is praised for backing away and letting us intercept the broody.

You need to learn your dog's quirks. Their stances, their moods. What do they look like when they're playing vs "I'm going to kill that thing and tear it to shreds!" vs "Oh man.. I screwed up.. I'm in so much trouble now.".. Eventually, you'll be able to tell when they're not in the frame of mind you want them in.

Your Aussie is only 7 months old. She probably can't control herself in ANY situation, let alone one as highly stimulating as exposure to chickens.
I would have to agree, I have a 5 year old Aussie and a 6 year old border collie. I could not image my Aussie Dylan behaving around chickens when he was only 7 months old. But now that he is older he ignores the chickens all together. The border collie wants to chase them but as long as you teach the dogs that you do not want them to chase the birds they won't. As long as the dogs know that you are the BOSS! Just give it some time.

Great thread! I'm another long-time aussie owner. You have gotten a lot of very good advice. Like another poster, I have trained my aussies to be with my horses (and now my geese). My 1st two girls were naturally great around livestock, but my current two boys had to be taught as they would go into herding mode if my horses got excited (which is not good when trail riding). So I went to the local aussie herding trainer. We worked with sheep on a long line and her emphasis was to get a perfect recall using only positive reinforcement (no leash corrections). We use the word "treat" because it is natural for us humans to say the word treat before we give our dogs a treat. It has been very effective. For the geese, we put them into pen with temp panels surrounded by a 3 strand hotwire at dog level. They learned to ignore the geese and eventually the geese were brought into their circle of protection, and the hotwire was removed. I still will not let them unsupervised in the same yard with the geese because sometimes management of environment is easier than the consequences if something bad happens, but they respect a pretty flimsy fence. And funny enough, the geese have learned that the dogs protect them, so if by chance something scares them, they go running towards the fence closest to the dogs.

Best of luck with your pup--that first year is a lot of work but worth every minute! I've had Aussies for over 25 years, chickens the last five...and, yes, as most of the prior posters have said, you can definitely have them live together without barriers, eventually. In the meantime, don't allow your pup the opportunity to pester/harass/chase,etc. There's a lot of good advice already here, won't repeat what's already been said--just know they are very smart and given the training (ESPECIALLY consistent training!) will understand what is and is not permitted. My two Aussies don't have any interest whatsoever in our flock of 15 when they are free ranging in the backyard...as a matter of fact I about died laughing last fall when my younger Aussie's tennis ball rolled near my Buckeye, Patty....Patty sort of jumped as the ball rolled near her, then poor Macy ran to get her ball and Patty jumped her, fluffed her feathers up and dared the dog to come on closer...Macy backed off and was pretty surprised, and intimidated too! Certainly caught her off guard. Anyways, Macy is 4, has been raised with the birds, could not care less (unless one of her toys in involved!), and yes, she does have a fairly high herding drive--is always willing to help herd the cats or horses if asked. She just knows that chasing the chickens is not an option. Good luck and enjoy your pup!
(My avatar is Macy....waiting for me to throw her rubber duck, which she'd left in the pony stall)

Last edited:
i have a few small dogs i can't get them to stop digging and chasing the chickens. we put stuff around the fence for no digging what else can i do to keep them in the fence.

I ended up getting a static correction collar for my kelpie cross. She was barking and digging, and actually managed to kill one of my girls by chasing to death( not biting). I know the collar sounds horrible, but I tested it on myself first and it wasn't that bad, like the shock from a car door. She wore the collar when I couldn't supervise her and at home we worked on 'leave it'. Now she barely looks at them, and can be in the garden while they free range if supervised. If she gets too interested I just say 'leave it' and she stops.

Just got home this afternoon and when walking up to my totally caged in chicken coop and run, the one door that shouldn't be open, was. And silence. For about 3 optomistic seconds I thought "maybe they're all up in the trees, safe."

My gentle adorable Aussie that had never been in with the chickens got in and killed them all. The hardest one to lose was my gentle Barred Rock, named Renee Fleming (American soprano) because she cooed and sang all the time.
I am adding a different latch to the door, plus a spring to pull it shut. Those Aussies are so smart that I just don't get how they cant see we are caring for these chickens and don't want them dead. This one had been around sheep and is fine with them.

I am going to research the training videos some of you have mentioned, so I can get her to at least calm down around the hens. But before i get new chickens, i am making mechanical adjustments so she'll never have the chance to get in the coop again. Heart breaker.

Asking or trying to get a hearding breed to stop chasing is like trying to get your chickens to stop pecking the ground, shouldn't be attempted, why ruin a good dog.

There is a huge difference between herding and chasing. When a dog is herding (whatever the animal) they have control of the situation.

A dog that is chasing an animal is not in herding mode at all. The biggest problem with working/herding dogs is they NEED a job. Boredom is their worst enemy. The second biggest problem with herding/working dogs is their level of intelligence. Unfortunately, some dogs use their intelligence to get into trouble.

Most dogs are not born to be bad dogs, they are not properly trained. The fact that the OP came here looking for help is a good sign that they care for both the dog and the chickens. Good advice, good training are the answer to this problem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom