Australians - Where are you all????

Yep, MyHaven, I think "miserable" sums it up pretty well. It sounds like you have your hands full. Silkies are so cute, I imagine it would be hard having to part with them. I hope this morning's forecast was correct and it clears up a bit later. I have 2 banties who have not started laying yet but I have been warned that when they do they are going to get broody .. today is a perfect day to hit BYC forums on how I am going to handle that situation. Currently, they are guilt tripping me .. jumping up and down at the wire begging to free range but it is too cold and wet for their Mum to stay outside and watch them
sad.png
Yeah breaking them involves dropping their temperature. I don't want to do that in the wet. I feel it's too harsh in this weather. Yes Bantams do go clucky a lot but they are good layers. The Silkie is laying nearly every day. Even yesterday and she never left the nest. I only have one. Or should I say my 2yr old has one Grandma bought him, but I love her she's so gorgeous. When yours go clucky start with caging them off the ground with a perch but no bedding. There are other techniques that you'll read about on BYC that involve water and ice. So try the cage first. Do you have other guilt trippers?

The Guilt Trippers won me over and some free ranging was had! I have two house cats that guilt trip me constantly into letting them outside in their cat play house and just the two feathered Guilt Trippers who always seems to get their way .. regardless of the weather
big_smile.png

Yay alright. I didn't realise that. You have made me think my girls are doing well. While I've been waiting for them to drop off more it won't be long before they pick up egg laying again then. I've been getting 3-4 a day out of 6 hens. I'm happy with that as 5 have only just started.

Is the west still beautiful and friendly. I haven't been there for more than 20 years.
Mine did that last year this year they have had a full moult and I've had no eggs for about 6 weeks - but then I have quite a few pullets that haven't started laying yet - so they should start with a bang!

And yes generally speaking the west is still beautiful and friendly (there are of course exceptions) - I've lived here my entire life and can't quite imagine living anywhere else! I've visited other places but I guess home is home.

Hey... I heard there's a place in Geelong that you can take roos to sell them... Anyone know how to find this place... I have a straight run amber link that I would like to rehome as he is sweet ....can anyone help out if they still exists

Back
Top Bottom