Australians - Where are you all????

Yeah just got to find them.... Sort of hoping he can give me some fertile eggs before he goes.. He probably crow before that :-(

Yeah breaking them involves dropping their temperature. I don't want to do that in the wet. I feel it's too harsh in this weather. Yes Bantams do go clucky a lot but they are good layers. The Silkie is laying nearly every day. Even yesterday and she never left the nest. I only have one. Or should I say my 2yr old has one Grandma bought him, but I love her she's so gorgeous.

When yours go clucky start with caging them off the ground with a perch but no bedding. There are other techniques that you'll read about on BYC that involve water and ice. So try the cage first.

Do you have other guilt trippers?

If you don't want to chill them, I've always just kept them off the nest for 3 days straight and it still breaks them. I have never used a cage.

I've got a silkie at the moment broodie. Yesterday I locked her our of their house because if i didnt she would vlimb up and spend hours sitting next to the nest which was liocked. And i let them free range in the back yard so as to take her mind off it a bit. She constantly kept running back to see if she could get in and peeking through the cracks lol. Kept nest box locked so she had to sleep on the roost.

Did the same today but she has given up running back every five seconds. Left the coop door open this afternoon and she looked to see nest was still locked then wandered off again. No trying to sit up next to the nest.

Tomorrow I will repeat again and if past experience is anything to go by she should be over it by day 4.

No locking up in boxes with cold air under and all that stuff.

I am lucky in that I only have one other laying at the moment so I just kept an eye out and locked her in the house for a while when she looked ready to lay. When the new four start laying and its harder to just lock them out ill just put her in a little run for a few days instead during the day.

Last edited:
It's more urban part... I didn't know you could even apply to keep roos..thank you, I might see what I can do on that part of it

Well had a look i dont think it would pass ... to much red tape so It looks like its rehome for my spoilt roo. Or the pot unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom