Australians - Where are you all????

An enclosed shed would probably work and I agree that the odd rooster here or there is much less annoying then motorbikes (motor cross bikes in the reserve in my case). In the past I've had neighbours complaining about cows calling for their calves and ewes calling for their lambs and this from people who choose to live on acerage! At least my current neighbours are much more agreeable.
That reminds me of something .. I used to live in Bundaberg; the RSPCA Animal Shelter was out of town until town started to move out. People bought land and built houses across the road from the shelter and then, you guessed it, had the nerve to complain about the shelter and wanted it moved!
I don't get to see much of the neighbour on one side, the lady out the back is lovely and the gentleman next door just looks at me, rolls his eyes and asks what crazy thing I am planning for the garden now lolz.

Thanks guys... Well he has started trying to crow today.... So wont be long.. But I agree it wouldn't be good to keep roos in suburbia too much noise so off hunting tomorrow for a new home hopefully a hobby farm or somewhere.

The lady that I bought my last 2 coronation sussex from, puts her rooster in a box every night and locks him in the shed. She lives in the country, but said that he had taken to sitting under her bedroom window. She said that he was very good about it, so used to it that he simply hops in.

Yeah will hopefully get on there tomorrow. I have my long list of things to do. I now feel prepared everyone has been a great help. Thank you!!

Hey I am planning to get bunny soon... Has anyone mixed a bunny with chicken when they are free ranging, is there any problems with. The chickens attacking the bunny??

Quote:
I've done this - its usually the oposite problem with the bunny being so inquisitive that they end up chasing the chickens all over the place - I've used it to "cure" broody hens by putting the two in a yard together with no nesting box and a perch - the chicken prefers the perch to continual invesitgation so tends to stay off the ground - keeping herself cool and hense the broodiness goes really quickly.

Okies so maybe I better bunny locked up while chickens are out ... Good to know about the broody thing though.. Thanks for the tip

Thought I would say hi - am new to BYC, and quite new to keeping chickens. I have 2 Australorps and one Isa Brown. I'm in Australia - live in Melbourne. Just one question for other Melbourne people - when it's frosty (like this morning) are the chickens ok? Do they need any additional heating?

Hi! Inverell nsw Aust. your Australorps are very poor layers. Keep your chickens under cover and out of the wind until they are about 10-12 weeks old (mainly at night) regards squzzi

Back
Top Bottom