Australians - Where are you all????

Hi, so you think she's lacking? The spots are flush with the surface, not raised or lumpy. I feed Laying mash, shell grit, and scraps including their own shells back, plus various extra protein. The shell is lovely, thick and strong. She has always laid it. I haven't noticed her in the shell before she went clucky. I'd better look at it thanks.

BTW - My mum and Aunty 80 years old off a farm with chooks her we life hadn't heard about larger eggs and longer laying time for a hen after a clutch. Busier with milking than chicks I guess.
She may not be (is probably not) lacking. Calcium "problems" including both lack and excess often appear similar. She may be lacking in other minerals that help in the even distribution or she might even have excess. If you are feeding layer pellets or mash she should be getting plenty - you probably don't need the shell grit as well - so long as they have access to plenty of grit to help with their digestion. Not that it will hurt, just you probably don't need it. You can check by looking at the mineral distribution on the bag of pellets - they are generally created for comercial operations where there is no other food sources.

I have always fed their shells back to them. Many people feel that it leads to a tendency for them to eat their own eggs - but I have never found this to occur. They will eat an egg if it cracks or breaks (or if a crow cracks or breaks it for them) but unless they have mineral deficiencies they genearally don't even look at their eggs as a food source.

She may not be (is probably not) lacking. Calcium "problems" including both lack and excess often appear similar. She may be lacking in other minerals that help in the even distribution or she might even have excess. If you are feeding layer pellets or mash she should be getting plenty - you probably don't need the shell grit as well - so long as they have access to plenty of grit to help with their digestion. Not that it will hurt, just you probably don't need it. You can check by looking at the mineral distribution on the bag of pellets - they are generally created for comercial operations where there is no other food sources.

I have always fed their shells back to them. Many people feel that it leads to a tendency for them to eat their own eggs - but I have never found this to occur. They will eat an egg if it cracks or breaks (or if a crow cracks or breaks it for them) but unless they have mineral deficiencies they genearally don't even look at their eggs as a food source.

Hi, I have been wondering why her shell is a different colour and you may be right. I did a quick search on BYC and read some shells can be odd coloured even purple with excess. The photo doesn't show it very well but it is pale pink.

I have been putting it down to her being a new layer but wondering if it had something to do with her hard start in life. I know that can affect an animals general health for life.

I believe that generally they know themselves what they need. Like when they are sitting they don't seek egg shell. (And I agree it is rare for a chicken to eat their own eggs.)

I generally feed a balanced mash and never used to have problems with shell quality. I have only had chooks again this time round for 12 months and all have been ok. Except one maran laid a next to no shell egg once.

I have had reason to query the blend of mash. I was getting no eggs and found it low at 16% protein. I checked today and the calcium is 3%. When it comes to calcium I have no clue what a balanced level should be though. As you say she could be lacking in something else throwing it all out. I'll call my produce today and query them.

BTW - the old timers hadn't heard about the larger/longer laying after a clutch either. I'm going to test it for you. I got hold of some eggs today and will set them on the weekend. I must be mad as I can't keep them all.

Thanks for your suggestions they are much appreciated.
Cheers for now.

/img/smilies/big_smile.png chicken :

hey that is so cool u got eggs! my chicks r to young one of them is on my lap right now she is a very sweet buff orpington and seriously do they have better food in australia than outback stakehouse cuz thats the closest most people get to australian here! lol we should try some real food and my teacher went to australia and she said lemon ants r really good but i have never tried them is it true they taste like lemons? love hearing from u all! /img/smilies/celebrate.gif/img/smilies/bun.gif/img/smilies/yippiechickie.gif/img/smilies/welcome-byc.gif/img/smilies/woot.gif
too funny. Beats watching election results. Great thread

Back
Top Bottom