Australians - Where are you all????

You would

You would like croc. Like chicken but moister and a little chewier. I have a 4 metre one and loads of smaller ones living at the nearby boat ramp and in the creek out the back. You are welcome to come catch it and cook it (I won't tell)

Sorry i sent is Twice
hmm.png

Okay so my Plymouth Rock and her chicks went outside for the first time today but I had to put them away again cause my Isa Brown is pecking the chicks, sometimes lifting them in the air. I take it she would peck them to death given a chance. The 'mum' doesn't seem to notice or care but if I go near them she goes on full guard. I know all chickens would act differently but will the Isa Brown always peck them or will the be able to integrate eventually?

From what I have heard, Isa-Browns can be extremely aggressive. They are ok with their own kind, but anything else - they'll have a go, to the extreme. Keep them separate - and if possible, for the remainder of your younger chickens lives, as the Isa B's reputation ain't all that pretty, and you would hate to come home to find a dead fully grown chicken in it's run - killed by an over-zealous and jealous Isa B. Separate runs for them methinks. Hope this helps - at least to keep your new little flock in one piece.

Cheers ... AB

For AUSSIESHARON.

We often have kangaroo steaks, and they are really beautiful. Need to be punched with a fork all over .... and cooked only just - like steak. Overcooking it will toughen it for sure. But cooked correctly - a coupla minutes either side, it is a heavenly meat. Good luck - when you find your next lot of kanga meat.

p.s. Never had crocodile - yikes, never likely to either.

Cheers ......... AB

For AUSSIESHARON.

We often have kangaroo steaks, and they are really beautiful. Need to be punched with a fork all over .... and cooked only just - like steak. Overcooking it will toughen it for sure. But cooked correctly - a coupla minutes either side, it is a heavenly meat. Good luck - when you find your next lot of kanga meat.

p.s. Never had crocodile - yikes, never likely to either.

Cheers ......... AB

x2 kangaroo is yum kakadu marinade backstraps is the best not keen on tail steaks. we the only country in the world that eats the animals on its national coat of arms and we do it proudly lol

Howdy folks .. has been a while! I have missed heaps ..... Previous Post: I have 3 pet bantam hens. I was only going to have two but two became three (basic chicken-math I am told lol). I was warned that Cilla, my Black Cochin, may go broody and sure enough she did. 3 days she hardly left the nesting box and after hours and hours of 'broody' research, some of the options sounded very eeew, I made a decision to give her what she wants and she is now quite happily sitting on 5 silkie bantam eggs.

What have I done?! She may be ready for this but am I? I am both apprehensive and excited .. I have numerous 'what-ifs' going through my head; what am I going to do with them if they hatch; besides keep one of course (basic chicken-math lol)? What if they are roosters (can't keep roosters) what will I do with them? What do I feed them? Extensions and alterations are now required to the chateau so that if they do hatch they have somewhere 'safe'. Yaada, yaada :-D

Then I realised, if an 8 month old little bantam chicken can do this surely I can! Lots of research and one day at a time. If chickens could talk, Cilla is probably telling me to "Chill, Mum, I got this covered"

Two week's later (now): Wow! Some strange stuff has been happening! The other day, I get home from work and Cilla is sitting on 3 eggs and Dusty (Bantam Langshan) is sitting on 3; 2 of Cilla's and 1 she laid! So I gave Cilla her 2 back and took away the unfertile one. But Dusty wasn't having any of that and 5 minutes later, had stolen 2 back lol. I'm thinking OK, fine, I'll leave you to it. But the next day, Dusty has obviously figured that being broody is not as much fun as it looked and gave up and Cilla has all the eggs again. Normality returns for 4 days. My hubby was working from home on Thursday; he sets up under the gazebo and while he works the girls can supervised-free-range .. he looks up to check on them, 'Yep, Cilla on her eggs, uh nope, that's Dusty!' .. Apparently, they tag-teamed 4-5 times throughout the day, taking turns sitting on the eggs! We have a week to go (Friday) and I am going to be very surprised if anything hatches and if it does, I wonder who is going to be Mum? lols

Back
Top Bottom