Australians - Where are you all????

Hi
For AUSSIESHARON.   

We often have kangaroo steaks, and they are really beautiful.   Need to be punched with a fork all over .... and cooked only just - like steak.   Overcooking it will toughen it for sure.   But cooked correctly - a coupla minutes either side, it is a heavenly meat.    Good luck - when you find your next lot of kanga meat.  

p.s.   Never had crocodile - yikes, never likely to either.  

Cheers ......... AB
[/quote

Hi AB

I've had kangaroo and croc tastes tonnes better. I find kangaroo too minerally in taste. I bet if you tried it you would be converted.

Hi
Quote:
I think if anyone likes lamb's fry or liver - then they would love kangaroo. It does remind me a bit of liver, as it is very very filling, and having no fat in it whatsoever and being a very dense meat, I can understand your comments - as yes there is a 'strong' taste to it, with a touch of what I would call iron in it. Someone commented here about tail steaks - I was not aware that the tail had anything that could resemble a steak. My dad used to legally shoot kangaroos on his parent's property - and bring home a tail from which Mum made THE most delicious and rich soup stock. Kangaroo tail soup was always a favourite. If ever I get to an all Aussie food pub or restaurant, I will try the crocodile. Have had eels, buffalo ( that's a strong meat too ) .... Eels taste like chicken. Here's to good eating.

Cheers ........ AB

Hello every one. Wow. Put the phone down for a bit and miss all the chat.

I've been busy with babies too. I put eggs under two cluckys. They all hatched two days early. (Again). I only got 50% with both new mums.

One kept swapping nests for the first two weeks. I had to keep putting her back on the eggs. I lost four that started to develop but died early on and one not fertile. She ended up with five strong babies. One Welsummer and four Orpingtons. She became an excellent mum in the last week and since they hatched.

I always try and leave them be but I had to help one. She (positive thinking) was taking way too long and the membrane was dry.

Then my Silkie who was a great mum from the start got the eggs with low fertility. She got two Welsummers, one fully dressed Naked Neck and one Auracauna. Three auracauna eggs weren't fertile.

I'm very luck all my other girls actually help protect any babies and not attack them. I mainly have to worry about neighbourhood cats and Magpies.

All are doing well which is good after loosing one of my Wheaten Marans two weeks ago.

Picture day.

I think if anyone likes lamb's fry or liver - then they would love kangaroo.   It does remind me a bit of liver, as it is very very filling, and having no fat in it whatsoever and being a very dense meat, I can understand your comments - as yes there is a 'strong' taste to it, with a touch of what I would call iron  in it.    Someone commented here about tail steaks - I was not aware that the tail had anything that could resemble a steak.   My dad used to legally shoot kangaroos on his parent's property - and bring home a tail from which Mum made THE most delicious and rich soup stock.     Kangaroo tail soup was always a favourite.    If ever I get to an all Aussie food pub or restaurant, I will try the crocodile.     Have had eels, buffalo ( that's a strong meat too ) .... Eels taste like chicken.    Here's to good eating.   

Cheers ........ AB

Hi, that's the first time I've heard roo meat described like lambs fry/liver. I find it very strong. My school holiday job was cutting their heads and testicles off in a factory.

Mum used to pickle it and it tasted just like corned beef.

Note for anyone who wants to cook it - it needs to be treated like other extremely lean meats like venison or horse. Do not over cook it. And if you can cook it on a BBQ and not make it tough I'll take my hat off to you.

Croc tastes like whatever it has been fed. The crocs from farms feeding chickens taste just like chicken and the ones being fed wild pig taste like wild pigs.

The best meat I have ever tried is donkey from the NT.

I hope you and your chooks are well.
Cheers

Hello every one. Wow. Put the phone down for a bit and miss all the chat.

I've been busy with babies too. I put eggs under two cluckys. They all hatched two days early. (Again). I only got 50% with both new mums.

One kept swapping nests for the first two weeks. I had to keep putting her back on the eggs. I lost four that started to develop but died early on and one not fertile. She ended up with five strong babies. One Welsummer and four Orpingtons. She became an excellent mum in the last week and since they hatched.

I always try and leave them be but I had to help one. She (positive thinking) was taking way too long and the membrane was dry.

Then my Silkie who was a great mum from the start got the eggs with low fertility. She got two Welsummers, one fully dressed Naked Neck and one Auracauna. Three auracauna eggs weren't fertile.

I'm very luck all my other girls actually help protect any babies and not attack them. I mainly have to worry about neighbourhood cats and Magpies.

All are doing well which is good after loosing one of my Wheaten Marans two weeks ago.

Picture day.

Wow MyHaven, that is excellent ... luv the pictures; seeing those tiny little babies makes me even more excited that I could have some soon. I certainly hope so for Cilla's sake, she has been such a devoted Mum to date. I reckon, as apprehensive and sometimes stressful this has been, if not lucky this time, definitely going to try again.
Hopefully in 5 or so days I will be posting baby pictures also!
wink.png

[COLOR=333333]Howdy folks .. has been a while! I have missed heaps ..... Previous Post: I have 3 pet bantam hens. I was only going to have two but two became three (basic chicken-math I am told lol).  I was warned that Cilla, my Black Cochin, may go broody and sure enough she did. 3 days she hardly left the nesting box and after hours and hours of 'broody' research, some of the options sounded very eeew, I made a decision to give her what she wants and she is now quite happily sitting on 5 silkie bantam eggs.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]What have I done?!  She may be ready for this but am I? I am both apprehensive and excited .. I have numerous 'what-ifs' going through my head; what am I going to do with them if they hatch; besides keep one of course (basic chicken-math lol)? What if they are roosters (can't keep roosters) what will I do with them? What do I feed them? Extensions and alterations are now required to the chateau so that if they do hatch they have somewhere 'safe'. Yaada, yaada :-D[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Then I realised, if an 8 month old little bantam chicken can do this surely I can!  Lots of research and one day at a time.  If chickens could talk, Cilla is probably telling me to "Chill, Mum, I got this covered"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Two week's later (now):  Wow! Some strange stuff has been happening!  The other day, I get home from work and Cilla is sitting on 3 eggs and Dusty (Bantam Langshan) is sitting on 3; 2 of Cilla's and 1 she laid!  So I gave Cilla her 2 back and took away the unfertile one.  But Dusty wasn't having any of that and 5 minutes later, had stolen 2 back lol.  I'm thinking OK, fine, I'll leave you to it.  But the next day, Dusty has obviously figured that being broody is not as much fun as it looked and gave up and Cilla has all the eggs again.  Normality returns for 4 days.  My hubby was working from home on Thursday; he sets up under the gazebo and while he works the girls can supervised-free-range .. he looks up to check on them, 'Yep, Cilla on her eggs, uh nope, that's Dusty!' .. Apparently, they tag-teamed 4-5 times throughout the day, taking turns sitting on the eggs!  We have a week to go (Friday) and I am going to be very surprised if anything hatches and if it does, I wonder who is going to be Mum? lols[/COLOR]

Hi again, I'm still catching up on the posts in between jobs here and just read this one. I guess it is true that it takes a village to raise a child and your girls are testing it. My Fraidy - the Australorp mum left her clutch so often and they were so cold by the time I found her sitting on the wrong nest that I didn't think she'd get any hatch. Your babies should be fine with that amount of care.

I can't wait for your next episode of "Days of our chickens" (trying to be funny)

x2 kangaroo is yum kakadu marinade backstraps is the best not keen on tail steaks. we the only country in the world that eats the animals on its national coat of arms and we do it proudly lol

I agree.

Waste not want not. After putting in dams and crops for them the roo population exploded after settlement. Using the product is the best way to honour the animal

Hi, that's the first time I've heard roo meat described like lambs fry/liver. I find it very strong. My school holiday job was cutting their heads and testicles off in a factory.

Mum used to pickle it and it tasted just like corned beef.

Note for anyone who wants to cook it - it needs to be treated like other extremely lean meats like venison or horse. Do not over cook it. And if you can cook it on a BBQ and not make it tough I'll take my hat off to you.

Croc tastes like whatever it has been fed. The crocs from farms feeding chickens taste just like chicken and the ones being fed wild pig taste like wild pigs.

The best meat I have ever tried is donkey from the NT.

I hope you and your chooks are well.
Cheers

My Haven

Donkey!!!!! You're braaaaave!

Last edited:
I agree.

Waste not want not. After putting in dams and crops for them the roo population exploded after settlement. Using the product is the best way to honour the animal
i wish it wasnt so expensive to buy in supermarkets tho more people would buy it and there would be money in farming them most people just think of roo meat last when do their shopping maybe because their not a lot of good recipes (please post that tail soup recipe if you can remember it anniebee) the farmer down the rd is known to feed them and leave them alone when they were in his crops he must of had enough of the crop loss because last year he shot heaps and left them to rot. if i had known his intensions i would have followed and picked a few up to process and skinned the rest the pelts make great floor rugs.

Back
Top Bottom