Australians - Where are you all????

WOW! I never knew that there were 2 Aussie threads! Hello to you all, I'm from Darwin.
smile.png
Hello and Welcome Nutcase :)

Howdy MyHaven :)
Gee, sorry to hear about your hospitalization, I hope you are OK now.
Well it has been a full-on weekend; at times stressful but far outweighed by wonderful, happy moments. 5 eggs, 5 hatches = 100% woo hooo! Even the one with the 'chip/crack' which I was not sure about on Day 17/18.
3 hatched yesterday afternoon (Day 21) and 2 overnight. They are adorable! My first chicks ever. I made a decision to give her the eggs and leave her to it. I didn't candle .. I had no idea if we had anything.
I was hoping to keep everyone living together but we had dramas today when Dusty wanted to use the same nest box that Cilla and the bubs were in, the chicks got caught in the cross-fire and got pecked a few times (luckily they are OK). Then Britney decided that chick-start was pretty yummy and she was not sharing with the chicks (even though it was theirs) more pecking :-(
Quick dash to Bunnings and even quicker purchase and construction of somewhere for Cilla and the bubs .. the move went well, Cilla appears to be settling and the bubs are doing well. She is a wonderful mumma. I think it was the right decision, especially as I am at work tomorrow. They have had some food and a drink and even decided that hanging off mums eyelids, jowls etc was fun. I am a bit worried about Cilla with the heat we have been having but she has had something to eat and a drink. I am going to try and get some more pictures soon ..........

She is a real cutie ... and I guess she has hatched a clutch put under her ?    They don't bear any resemblance to Mum !  LOL.   I hope she has a good heavy quick moult - Mindy did, and came back with beautiful feathers and began laying almost immediately again.    What a happy little family you have there.   My girls will remain celibate for their entire lives .... am not going down the breeding chickens road.    Haven't got enough room .... although we do have a big enough back garden - we would need several coops or quarters for different chicken events.   As it is we now have two coops ... might have mentioned my dear little Araucana is not at all tolerated by my Welsummer mainly, and to a degree my RIR - who also has a go at her.   So it's separate everything for us - and I only have 3 chooks !     Enough - at the moment.    Am thinking of getting another Araucana 'on trial' - to see if she gets on with Mindy ok ... and I would then keep her.   A family member has about a dozen Araucanas and Silkies ( BIG silkies too - one of them entirely black ) .... and I can have one if it works out.   Weather is nuts, so when a few more days of good weather present, and husband is on holidays late October, will address all of it then.    Meantime, have fun with your gorgeous little brood there.   

Cheers ......... AB
p.s.   You sure are right about people murdering meat on a barbeque. !!    And yes, I still miss my little Moppitt ...  have a lovely plant over her grave now.   

I'm not breeding either I don't have a rooster. I've just hatched someone else's eggs hoping the hens won't go clucky as often. She and the other one (Fraidy an Australorp) go clucky every time they lay 12 eggs. I have people who want POLs.

Silkie (not very inventive I know but she is my 3year olds and he named her) hatched all fertile eggs I gave her. An auracauna, a naked neck (which isn't naked) and two Welsummers. Amazing how fast the Welsumers are growing compared to the others including the Orpingtons Fraidy hatched.

Tillyita told me they tend to lay larger eggs and longer into life after hatching a clutch too.

All a bit of fun really.
Cheers

Howdy MyHaven :) Gee, sorry to hear about your hospitalization, I hope you are OK now. Well it has been a full-on weekend; at times stressful but far outweighed by wonderful, happy moments. 5 eggs, 5 hatches = 100% woo hooo! Even the one with the 'chip/crack' which I was not sure about on Day 17/18. 3 hatched yesterday afternoon (Day 21) and 2 overnight. They are adorable! My first chicks ever. I made a decision to give her the eggs and leave her to it. I didn't candle .. I had no idea if we had anything. I was hoping to keep everyone living together but we had dramas today when Dusty wanted to use the same nest box that Cilla and the bubs were in, the chicks got caught in the cross-fire and got pecked a few times (luckily they are OK). Then Britney decided that chick-start was pretty yummy and she was not sharing with the chicks (even though it was theirs) more pecking :-( Quick dash to Bunnings and even quicker purchase and construction of somewhere for Cilla and the bubs .. the move went well, Cilla appears to be settling and the bubs are doing well. She is a wonderful mumma. I think it was the right decision, especially as I am at work tomorrow. They have had some food and a drink and even decided that hanging off mums eyelids, jowls etc was fun. I am a bit worried about Cilla with the heat we have been having but she has had something to eat and a drink. I am going to try and get some more pictures soon ..........
Great news and there goes my theory out the window about Brisbane humidity affecting incubation period. I always separate the family from the rest - they all love the chick starter. I'm assuming you buy it from Albany Creek. I often have trouble with moth grub getting into it too so don't buy a lot at a time. Also the chicks should not eat the high protein feed the layers are on. Thanks for your kind wishes. I've had multiple major surgeries in the past which have had side effects so to speak. It's better than the alternative. I look forward to more pics. Your babies are gorgeous. Cheers

Quote: I didn't know how to spell it until I googled it. ;)

It's a good idea for your kids to continue to float test eggs even if they're stamped. My sister recently cracked a storebought egg straight into the pan from the carton, and it was mostly empty and gaseous, with some green fluid in the bottom. Ruined her omelette, she had to start again. It's not the first time we've bought a bad egg, stamps and all. (Buying because my chooks are agisted elsewhere as I sort out my living arrangements).

Quote: Hi! How's it at Darwin?

Howdy MyHaven :) Gee, sorry to hear about your hospitalization, I hope you are OK now. Well it has been a full-on weekend; at times stressful but far outweighed by wonderful, happy moments. 5 eggs, 5 hatches = 100% woo hooo! Even the one with the 'chip/crack' which I was not sure about on Day 17/18. 3 hatched yesterday afternoon (Day 21) and 2 overnight. They are adorable! My first chicks ever. I made a decision to give her the eggs and leave her to it. I didn't candle .. I had no idea if we had anything. I was hoping to keep everyone living together but we had dramas today when Dusty wanted to use the same nest box that Cilla and the bubs were in, the chicks got caught in the cross-fire and got pecked a few times (luckily they are OK). Then Britney decided that chick-start was pretty yummy and she was not sharing with the chicks (even though it was theirs) more pecking :-( Quick dash to Bunnings and even quicker purchase and construction of somewhere for Cilla and the bubs .. the move went well, Cilla appears to be settling and the bubs are doing well. She is a wonderful mumma. I think it was the right decision, especially as I am at work tomorrow. They have had some food and a drink and even decided that hanging off mums eyelids, jowls etc was fun. I am a bit worried about Cilla with the heat we have been having but she has had something to eat and a drink. I am going to try and get some more pictures soon ..........
what a good mum they are so sweet

I didn't know how to spell it until I googled it. ;)

It's a good idea for your kids to continue to float test eggs even if they're stamped. My sister recently cracked a storebought egg straight into the pan from the carton, and it was mostly empty and gaseous, with some green fluid in the bottom. Ruined her omelette, she had to start again. It's not the first time we've bought a bad egg, stamps and all. (Buying because my chooks are agisted elsewhere as I sort out my living arrangements).

Hi! How's it at Darwin?
google didnt think to do that. that egg sounds enough to turn ya off omelette for the day at least. i couldnt agist all mine i cant even get someone in to babysit my lot for a weekend i wandered around trying to count and it just an obsence amount the feedbill is astronomical lol but i found a clucky hen today when i went to check on another broody (she surprised me with a chick) so i setting porcelein araucana eggs under the new hen tomorrow.

Hi, from Brisbane. I didn't know there was another Aussie thread other than this one. I must look it up.

What's your interest Nutcase?

Cheers
i think the other thread is *six states and a funny little island* they are a great bunch but the thread is huge and busy. also the oct/nov hatch a long was started by an aussie though i have seen him on since his hatch come to think of it there was a few aussies on that hatch a long. there might be a need for oz only hatch thread.
do any of the members on this thread know the where abouts of ancona ducks in australia i am in need of a drake. i have heard they are not here but that cant be right i have 2 girls. :/ satay asked for me on the other thread

Back
Top Bottom