Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Quote:
Hi, I was looking at your pic,......took me a while to work out what it was...now THAT'S a poultry obsession! LOL

Can't see too many aussies breeding pure breds for show....

Hi Annabella Traffa and Silkiesook and welcome to BYC, its good to see more Aussies on this thread.

lol the Bra is Funny isn't it a lady on BYC found it for me when I was looking for a new avatar and I went with it lol.
Are you breeding pure breeds Traffa? If so what breed? I just have pets (8 of them)I was going to get into breeding but I just don't have the time or space anymore.

Quote:
Hi Kezabel,

I have been breeding Partridge Wyandotte bantams (PB) for 11 years now (Show Quality) and experimented with other colours by crossing colours. Started with very good typed and coloured birds. They say partridge are one of the hardest to breed successfully for show so the experience has been well worth it. I now know what to look for in a different bloodline quickly and easily.

I am on 11 acres so space isn't a problem, predators are. I designed a feral cat/crow/fox proof coop with fly coop 10 years ago now and nothing has ever been taken.

This year I am purchasing good quality stock of: Silver Spangled Hamburghs, Light Sussex, Indian Game (2 colours), some cross bred stock with interesting parentage and Silver Laced Wyandottes (Standard, PB).

Here is a picture of my two little survivors, hatched this morning. It's a long story and a sad one so I won't put it down here - suffice it to say that these two little silkies survived out of 14 eggs against all the odds
54191_000_0238.jpg

they are therefore very special to me!
love.gif

Hey Wooklet - I can see why they would be special, they are gorgeous.
love.gif

I am sorry you lost the others.

wooklet they are simply adorable. What a precious pair of babies you have there.

So sorry about the Mix up with your eggs
wink.png
...You could have had some more little silkie babies in three weeks...Oh well... The universe works in mysterious ways.. Who knows- you may really love the ducklings too!!
gig.gif

Thank you all. Yes, it was sad, but I am very happy to have these two little survivors. Spoiled? By me? Never!That's why they are getting carried around in my pocket, given little drinks of honey and water, and being kept in the house with me. I don't spoil chickens.
lau.gif
I'll never learn, put 32 more eggs in the incubator today! I'm not crazy!
tongue2.gif

The "silkie ducks" went in too - new breed, another long story - but I think Alicia will understand!

Last edited:
I was just picturing an Indian Runner duck with the gorgeous feathers of a silkie...Not too sure how the webbed feathered feet would look. There actually is a breed called a silkie duck- but we dont have them in Australia to my knowledge.

I put 8 eggs into my incubator as well..so we both have 8 in now- It will be interesting to see how postage and different incubators will effect our hatches. Hope you do really well with them.. I have a lady coming to pick up some ducklings this weekend. I have holidays in just over a week- and will be able to spend two weeks home with all my babies...I have 32 eggs due to hatch before I go back to work again...so I am sure I wont be getting bored!

Quote:
I found this pic of Silky ducks by the way - aren't they gorgeous?
54191_silkyduckfeathers.jpg

I know that I will love the little ducklings, the BIG question is will DH?? Think he knows he's fighting a loosing battle saying that I can't keep them, but we have to let him believe .........
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom