Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
love.gif
Cute as....! I love the expression on the larger ducks face! It's almost as if he's saying "And what are you exactly?" Im sure you won't have any trouble at all re homing them!

I was wondering if different breeds of ducks speak different languages...or can they all understand each other!!! I have had mixed breeds before, and they all get along...But it would be interesting to know if ducks do actually have a "language" at all.

I will have to take some more pics of my Runners soon. I have two little Harlequin girls with a lot of feathers coming through. I wasnt going to take any birds to the Royal Melbourne show in September...But if these too grow fast enough and feather out the way I think they will I will have to enter them for sure. I didnt want to show because I didnt want my breeders stuck in a cage for a week...But babies wont be laying yet- and they will have nice fresh feathers.. SO it may be of benefit for me to breed at this time of the year for that show in future years too!!

Quote:
I would love to think of ducks and chickens chattering away to each other! I think body language would be more the go as it is with mammals.

Royal Melbourne sounds impressive - have you shown there before? If so how did you go? I showed a deerhound at the Sydney Royal, I was terrified and transmitted it to him, couldn't get him to do anything right, the last straw was when he stopped in the middle of the ring for a "poo", needless to say we did no good!!

Eggs are all bubbling away nicely, the embryos are growing, and hubby is barred from any contact with the incubator at all - that way I only have myself to blame if things go wrong. He can stick to building the coops - he's good at that! I've been having trouble with my two best silkies, they lost a heap of weight, they are only pullets and I think this freezing cold, wet weather has affected them. They have been wormed, de loused, treated with Baycox, and are now under a nightlight. I've done all I can, now we wait with crossed fingers. It inspired me to clean out all my coops,clean them,dust them etc., it took me 8 hours, now I'm exhausted!

I had a day like that today wooklet...I put most of the babies outside for the day- removed the cardboard brooder boxes from the lounge room... vacuumed and dusted the top of my tv unit and all my ornaments - they sure get dusty with a ducted heating system going each winter. Then I went out to the shed and clean out the night pens. Three wheel barrow loads of hay and shavings later I was ready to put down fresh bedding again. Gee it doesnt look like much when i write it...but it took me hours as well!

Glad to hear your eggs are doing well. My daughter had a friend over for the night last night- so I candled some eggs for her to see. We were lucky enough to have picked a time when they were all very active. I started with the ones put in at the same time of yours- so we could see the little blob floating around- then an egg a week older- and a bigger blob...But the ones that are due later this week- we saw a little beak open and close a number of times!!!! I have seen a little foot before- but the beak was just so special.

I have only been to two small local shows- So a big one would really be great- but only if I have good birds worthy of showing. Time will tell. I will take a photo of one of my hopefuls tomorrow.
Annabella.. That is funny...but could be who knows...maybe even different dialects rather than language too...

I candled your duck eggs today Alicia. I could see all the little blobs quite clearly and I could quite clearly see movement in them - exciting isn't it? But, here's a strange one, one egg had TWO blobs - could there be such a thing as twins? I've never heard of it! I'll try very hard to get a photo, but can't guarantee how it will turn out. Wouldn't it be funny if it was, your eggs would be famous, we could end up on televison and makes lots of money!
wee.gif
Apart from the duck eggs I have another dozen or so in there, and every one is fertile, so let's hope for better luck this time. Talking of beaks, the ducks is rather blunt, how do they get through the shell? Hope that is not a silly question!

Two blobs...I do hope it is twins for you wooklet- that would just be so incredible. Could be the head and tail end though..they can look like two sepperate blobs for a few days.... I had a double yolker I set once - but it didnt develope. I have heard of twins hatching.
This was from some last year. It is very rare-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/8330924.stm

I do want to set some more in time if I get them...just to see if I can get some to hatch. I would have to take time off work to be home in case they actually did hatch- as the quite often need assisitance if they survive to full term.
You are so overdue for some good luck - Im sure this is going to be a great hatch. Ducklings have an egg tooth ( Chickens do too dont they?? ) to help them crack the egg. Its a little pointy thing on the end of their beaks that falls off after a few days.

Since I am on holidays at the moment- I moved my quail to set up that pen for my Silkie...So last night Morrie slept outside for the first time. This morning after a little sleep in- I went out at 8am to let the ducks out- and heard Morrie Crow. It was a very soft muffled crow...but I know for sure now he is a boy. I am devasted...Yesterday I had noticed his comb was looking a little large for a girl...but was still still hopeful he was a she...
hit.gif
I cant keep a rooster here...I am so devasted I cant keep my little chicken.

Awwwwww........I am so sad for you! He/she is so beautiful. that is the problem one never really knows until they start crowing. You poor thing
hugs.gif
I feel for you. I am looking for a good rooster..........??? Only trouble is transport, but he would get a wonderful home here, and you could keep in touch with photos and e mails, you could even visit if you want! Im also a vegetarian! So no Pot!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom