Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
54191_000_0255.jpg

Thought that little Harry was lonely so........! He seems to love it!

One of the chicken eggs in the incubator is pipping so he'll have a chicken for company soon. How do I persuade him to eat? I already dropped some water on his beak, he's nibbling my hand when I pick him up as if he is hungry. With chickens you put the food on the floor and tap with your finger, but that doesn't seem to work with him?

He's certainly a cutie!

Just a quick edit - the picture was taken in the broodie box, don't believe in putting soft toys in the incubator!I've taken it out now in case it smothers him!It just made a cute picture.

Last edited:
Mine gets toys for a day or so until they go onto pine shaivngs...so much easier to stick them in the washing machine- if you dont have to pick a thousand pieces of wood out first.

Wooklet - Harry is just gorgous... He will most likely just drink for 12- 24 hours- then it might be easier to show him where the food is. Thats what I normally find with mine anyway. You will probably wake in the morning to a ravenous little fellow. You could try sprinkling a little crumble in some water for him to start with.

Still nothing from any of mine...But I thought they would be a littl slow again. At least now I have the bator at the correct temp- so the next ones should be on time. I cant believe I have to wait another three weeks for babies this time!! I think the break will do me some good- and I might even be able to get up to my block of land for a night!

Wooklet - Congratulations on Harry - love his big webbed feet, then snuggling under his toy - cute as!!
Look forward to hearing & seeing the others, what an exciting time
big_smile.png

Thank you,Annabella! He's sure cute and now there are TWO! He hatched about halfanhour ago. There are also 2 new chicks,one of which will be a Frizzle and the other from my Grey Silkies, so it should be grey!I will post more pics when everyone is standing on their feet independently! they are all a bit wobbly at the moment.

clap.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
YAY!!! And not a peep from mine yet..... Oh well Its not like they are my first ducklings... I am so happy for you wooklet. One thing I love so much is when I put them on the floor- I have wood floors in my place- and the sound of their little feet running sown the hallway is just so so so so so cute.

I still have a wobbly one that hatched on the weekend- It has only opened its eyes today - funny little thing - no reason it couldnt- it was just walking around for three days with its eyes closed. It would open them occasionally - but just didnt keep them open all the time.
I took a photo tonight of my little Ollie. Now about three weeks old- he hasnt grown much at all. Poor little guy- he is wearing out his little deformed hocks trying to get around- but is still a little battler. Its hard to believe the two ducklings pictured below hatched a day apart.

Photo removed

Last edited:
Awwwww......poor sweet little Ollie.
hugs.gif
He melts my heart he really does. Do you think that he will grow any more? I do hope he makes it, he seems like a real little battler. Bless him.

He has to grow more - no way he could really stay that tiny..... But being small is what has kept him alive so far. He can still get around- and quality of life is my main concern for him. I have been trying not to get attached to the little guy- but its so hard not to. I have prepared my daughter for the fact that there may come a time when we may have to make an appointment at the vet- but while he is so tiny and can scoot around he is happy. I was worried about whether or not I should post a picture of him... But its so rare to see something like this - and he is special so I wanted to share.

I knew a vet nurse in Sydney who acquired a "dwarf" german shepherd.Everyone told her to have it put to sleep, but she had a soft heart and kept it. I think it only weighed 2 lbs at its maximus. It lived for about 2 years, so she gave it 2 years it wouldn't have had, and like your Ollie it was so cute it woul melt you! Good luck with him - keep us up to date? We'll all be gunning for him.

I am worried about a few of my eggs- I am going to drill a little hole and see whats going on ..One has such a HUGE airsac it runs to the back of the egg!!! I knew mine would be slower than yours wooklet- but I candled when I got home form work- and still nothing- I think the humidity id still too low as well..I really have gotten a bit complacent with my eggs- and should pay more attention to the temp and humidity..

Oh,I do hope all is well with your eggs.I have 3 hatched and one pipping, but the other 4 are very quiet, so I don't know if they are going to hatch, and like you one that I candled had a HUGE air sac. Let's keep the fingers crossed, the 3 that have hatched are called Harry(of course),Sally(when Harry met Sally), and Plucka, because he pipped while Hey Hey it's Saturday was on!Harry and Sally have been pattering around the kitchen(I agree with you about the wooden floors,it sounds so cute!) How does one tell the difference between boys and girls - ducks I mean
lau.gif

Have also had a Frizzle,a Pekin and a Silkie hatch. thinking of your eggs and sending them Hatching wishes!

Back
Top Bottom