Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
You know, the more I look at that photo of Monty. ,the more I am sure that those ducks were Aylesburys, as soon as I saw them I thought,"Aylesburys", not that I know much about ducks, but something jogged my memory. These really were BIG, with a big deep voice. The man who owns them is also with the Rare Breeds Club, so it could well be that he is showing rare breeds! For the runners, the only colours I have seen at shows are white and black- what does one look for in a show duck? they didn't look much like show ducks this afternoon after they had finished their paddle in the mud that is now our backyard, the chickens were looking at them in disgust."eeeeew!look at those filthy creatures!" expressions on their little faces!

They must have been Aylesbury then... They are quite different from a pekin. My daughter really wants to breed them- but my hesitation is because they are meat birds- and also because I know she wont look after them and it will be left to me. I have enough to do with all my Runners.
I cant help you much with what to look for with showing ducks if you have more cinnamon coloured ducks.. But as for Harlequins -

photo removed
photo removed The drake in the bottom corner is carrying blue- so cant be shown- but the other three drakes are all very nice Harlequins.
Pen training is important with Runners to make sure they will stand up nice and tall- but there are so few Harlequin Runners around- it would be lovely to see some more shown.

Last edited:
I went to the local newsagent today to get some more newspaper for the brooders. Usually they give me a pile about 15 cm high...Today there was a few extra...I had to make a few trips to put them in the car- it sure will keep me going a while- its about 70cm high this time... I sure go through a lot with these duckies- but that will last over a month with three brooders going!! I sure hope their are some with pictures of the politicians...I love using them in the bottom of the brooders... I am hoping to get some copies of todays paper too...the one with the lady who wants to sue for 37 million dollars... I think that newspaper could be very usefull in the brooder!!

That lady(who is sueing for 37 million) is full of it so it would be in the right place in the brooder!
I must have picked up a cold when I was at the show, feeling not so good at the moment. I got so eexcited by everything that I forgot to use my anti-bacterial handwash, and now I am paying for that!
I want to ask you something, because I feel that I should! I am having a few problems with 5 ducklings -I'm not really set up for them and gorgeous as they are, I feel that they deserve better. I have a friend who lives on 30 acres, already has ducks and some geese, and has a river running through the property. It really is a waterfowl paradise. She fell in love with the Runners and has offered to take them, and I can visit and if ever I want them back I can. Would you mind if I gave 4 of them to her? I am going to keep one(Harry) as a pet, because he is such a character already, and he was the first to be hatched. He'll have plenty of company here,probably end up thinking he is a chicken, by the way my friend thinks he is actually a Drake, I can cope with one duck,but 5 is proving hard! You were so sweet to send them but I think that it is going to make a lot of work for me in the future. I have 60 chickens here and a full incubator(42 eggs) plus 2 Pekins sitting on 10 eggs each! This is a hobby that has got out of control!! But I thought that I would ask you first.
When is your next hatch due? I have one due a week tomorrow - the Black Silkies from Shani- and another due a week later. It's going to be a busy spring!

They are your duckies to do with what you want. You didnt have to ask. I know they can be messy- and ducks arent for everyone...But Im not suprised to hear how you have bonded with Harry. Im sure they will be very happy on your friends farm...But I wouldnt mind seeing another photo before before they go
hide.gif

I have some due on Monday. I am heading up to my block of land for the night on Saturday to keep me away from the incubator. I will have to take up 13 ducks with me. And as many hot water bottles as I can find. I cant wait. I havent slept up there for months.
I started a farm on farmville tonight. ( Facebook ) I cant believe I did it- as I always thought those games were a bit of a waste of time. But I love it. I want to make mine as much a poultry farm as possible. Silly me...as if having so many real duckies wasnt enough...

OOOOh dear, I have been so sick! Picked up a vicious cold somewhere and have spent the last days in bed, so please forgive for no photos - will organise something tomorrow.
Enjoy your property, can I have a look at your farm on Facebook?
Goingback to bed now...........
sickbyc.gif

I didnt go..
sad.png
Silly me..I stayed home and played with all my babies. I took them out for the day so they could swim outside. I dont think i have photos of my block on facebook..I will have to put some on. I actually have two pages.. You can find me at

[email protected] ( Taylor Ducks )

and

[email protected] ( Harley Quinn Taylor )

Ok..so I am off to put on some photos!! i never thought about adding some there.

I do hope you are feeling better soon. Touch wood I havent been sick with a cold or flu in a few years. It really does make you feel terrible though. I hope hubby has been looking after you and behaving himself with helping to look after the chickens and ducks.

smile.png
All better now! Four days of hell over with - I get a cold about every 2 years and this one was spot one - Hubby has it now, my payback for him vacuuming up my chicken! Haven't had a chance to look on Facebook yet but will later tonight. Duckies left today,transported in style in a large picnic basket lined with soft bedding! I think they are going to be spoiled rotten, but I was sad to see them go, sort of wished I hadn;t agreed to it now. I went to take a picture of them but my battery was flat, so she (my friend) is going to take some and send them to me so that I can forward them to you. Harry is sleeping with the silkie chicks, he looked happy enough when I looked in on them a few minutes ago, all snuggled up in the middle of their "huddle"! I have bought him an inflatable pool on ebay,and will take him to the little creek where the dogs swim every week or so,( just wondering if there is any sort of harness one can use on a duck?!) so he will be a happy little chappie, which he is anyway! My black silkies are due tomorrow (from Shani) along with 16 other assorted eggs, and then another 22 are due next week, so we shall be busy! Then in a fortnight we are going to the Rare Breeds Show and Poultry Auction in Hobart. I have saved up a few hundred dollars, and have every intention of spending them there!!!
celebrate.gif
I'm after Polish Bantams and silkies. Really looking forward to it. How's your latest hatch going? Off to check out my e mails!Bye!

So glad to hear you are feeling better. I packed one off to a new home tonight..poor little tike was hardly dry. I had an email yesterday- a guy desperately trying to find a ducklings for a birthday present. I emailed back...and today he rang and told me the story- and drove all the way from Bendigo to come and get it. He has had ducks before otherwise I would never let one go so new. I took lots of photos. I got some great hatching pics this time. The hatch was so much better- no assistance given at all. So far 4 are out- three more to go. One died during the day but it looks backwards in the egg. They are actually due tomorrow- so I guess I have solved the incubator problems by the looks of things.

I thought I might take the hatching photos to sell at Poultry events to raise money for the club. I have some gorgeous ones of the last one- it came out backwards and was interesting to watch. My stupid camera battery died right in the middle of one hatching. Stupid things always go at the wrong moment.

I havent even needed a harness on mine. I used to walk my gosling around the block - they were happy to just wander beside me. If you train Harry with a little food - he will learn to walk with you. They are very light to pick and and carry for a while too if needed.

My little chickens (well hens, but they're always your babies aren't they
wink.png
) would appreciate webbed feet at the moment.
My goodness we had some rain last night - I think at least 100ml here.
But its stopped now - though they say it might start again.
We aren't going to the Ekka (even though it is show day) - sludging through muck, I can do at home!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom