Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Its the same here Annabella...My webbed footed ones were kept locked in today- and will have to stay inside again at least for tomorrow. I have no idea how much rain we have had...but I have had more than enough for the time being. The ducks would have a bal if I let them out- But I would like some grass left in place when things dry out again.

I Have seen some photos of birds entered at EKKA- I am actually planning some hatching for the Melbourne show. Not entering birds myself- But I have to start some eggs soon for ducklings at a poultry display.

The rain has gone and August westerly winds have come to dry it up. Bit fresh too, temp wise!!

When I went to work today I decided to let all the girls out to free range in the back yard together as the dog is secure on the back deck.

A funny thing happened on my return; I came home and let the dog out to relieve himself in the yard. The girls see me and come running.
smile.png

The dog sees the girls and thinks "treats!!"
wink.png

But one of the twins (twins because I have trouble telling them apart!) comes running forward, feathers fluffed and pecks dog on nose - multiple times.
tongue2.gif

Dog is taken back with attack and decides to retreat for a bit. I hope he learns his lesson
fl.gif
- I would love to let the girls roam in the whole back yard all the time. Time will tell.
hmm.png

It was so windy today I was worried about things flying around the back yard. I had to venture out shopping today- and could feel the wind against the car pushing me into the next lane- It was horrible. Its so loud here too- I hope the wind dies down soon or it will keep me awake!!

Its so funny seeing the interaction between different pets at times. I used to have a galah that would befriend ducklings at times...he would climb on their backs and go for a ride while they walked around..It was so cute. Hope the dog doesnt have a sore nose for too long...

Gee...its been a while..... Where are all the Australians gone???

I am now officially overrun with ducklings and seriously need to stop putting eggs into the bator. I will be taking some of mine in to the Melbourne show later next month. Not as entries but as part of the PSBEV display. Stevie - Ray will be coming in and I will have lots of babies for the kids to play with.

I am hopefully going out this afternoon to pick up two adult ducks...fingers crossed as these will replace a few I currently have and short cut my breeding program by a few years. Pho9tos when they get home as long as everything turns out ok with the purchase.

frow.gif
Sorry, ever since I had to put my little dog to sleep, things just haven't been the same. Had chickens entered in the show and cancelled because it would have meant going along the same route that I used on the day she was put to sleep. Some of the pens need a clean out and I haven't had the will to do them - bit of depression that I can't seem to shake - not helped by the weather, rain and mud, and more rain and mud
barnie.gif

I know what you mean about ducklings and the incubator,but have to admit that I have 36 eggs in the incubator at the moment and a brooder full of chicks of various ages and sizes. Plus hubby has another 24 in HIS incubator. When does it ever STOP??Love to see pics of your new breeding ducks - I bought 4 new chickens today, meant to buy only two, but there were so many pretty colours.......
idunno.gif
Also , have had a bit of good luck for a change! Have been trying to find my Mothers side of the family for many years now, she kept them all a deep dark secret. Anyway, a week ago I got an e mail from a lady who is my 2nd cousin, full of news and new relatives and photos. It's been an amazing journey, and has taken up some time. But this Aussie is still here, and hope to hear from you and others a lot more!

Last edited:
oh gee wooklet
hugs.gif
I am sorry to hear about your dog.
We do get attached to them - don't we!
I am sure that the foul weather isnt helping your sadness, but spring will come.
hugs.gif

Everything is same ole, same ole here. Nothing exciting, just usual life. (Which in itself is just fine!!)
Have decided that the Houdini twins will be kept in solitary confinement for a few weeks. Just let out for the last hour of the day.
Maybe they might learn where they are supposed to stay and not keep flying off to decimate neighbours gardens
hmm.png

Honkey also is being locked up till I wake - as she has decided to crow again with the dawn. Once again - don't want to stir the neighbours up.
Its all working out well at the moment.

Thanks Annabella! As you say the weather doesn't help! I also have to pick up her ashes from the vet this afternoon,so not looking forward to that too much.

Have you ever thought of clipping a wing on your girls? If you leave 2 flight feathers at the very end, you can't even tell that it has been done, I will often do it for new chicks just until they find where they live. I think you will actually find a thread on wing clipping somewhere. Neighbours can be nasty when chooks dig up their gardens - I know!

Anyway, tomorrow we are going away for a couple of weeks, will do me good, taking a trip around Tassie,something we have always meant to do. Neighbours kindly looking after the chickens. So I will be off the air. Take care and good luck with your chooks!

Borrowed a computer - hope everyone is o.k. from Victoria after all the storms and floods? Everyone includes ducks and chickens of course!

Last edited:
Is everyone o.k. after all the floods and storms? I had to ask - borrowed a laptop to do so!

See,even doubled up! Sorry!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom