Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Yep, Duckyfromoz, so far I am finding chickens fascinating time wasters
big_smile.png
love your little Zorro, very cute.

Hello 6blackchicks, I am a newbie too!

frow.gif
Hello all! Good to have so many new Aussies online! Zoro is adorable, Ducky.
I Have chicks hatching at the moment,so far Silkies,Polish Bantams,Japanese bantams and a ??....Rooster must have strayed somewhere!
Wet and windy down here in Tassie,could do with some of that Queensland sunshine!

Last edited:
Welcome 6blackchicks and BantamBoy. I guess with spring...there will be an influx of members from Australia. hang around guys and check out the duck forum pages soon when the snow starts falling over in the USA. I loved seeing the pics posted of all the ducks , geese and chooks in the snow. I felt sorry for there frezzing feet- but they sure do look cute.

Tonight with all the rain- I let all my ducks back into the night pens. I had them seperated into breeding groups- but some were outside- and I didnt want them out in the rain getting cold tonight. One girl spotted a nest of eggs I have left in there for a few days- went over...turned a few of them...and promptly sat on them tucking them under her. It was so sweet to see. I think after the weekend I might have to let her have a few of her own eggs to sit on.

Quote:
Cheers for that, it was very helpful. I have been lucky and found someone in our town that has them. As soon as we are back from the big smoke in a couple of weeks we will get some more. While we are having to lock them up still i dont want to get anymore as we wont be able to lock them while we are away, will have to take our chances unfortunatly.

Had a bit of mixed luck on the chooks. The one with the broken leg came good!! It mustnt have been too bad a break. Was going to get hubby to put him down, but i said to do it when i was at work, i had notice the other roo pecking him and decided it was time. That night he was too busy with other things and it didnt happen. Then in the next day or so, i noticed him starting to use his leg again. So we decided to let him go a bit more as even when he was at his worst, he was still getting around, eating, drinking well and quite happy. From then he has been getting better and better! So he has been spared, im glad he was too busy cause he is my favourite. He has now been named Mr Limpy, but then also come the jokes about having a limp cockeral. And the other roo has just started picking on everyone (not badly) the hormones must be starting to kick in.

On the bad luck though, the chooks got out on thursday, we think the gate may have blown open, Hubby found most in the shed but hubbys favourite hen was missing. Looked high and low in the back yard, but nothing. poor thing could have easily got lost in the shed but couldnt hear anything. We have kept an eye out but there is not trace, not even a feather.

So fingers crossed we wont loose any while we are away. They are getting bigger though and with 2 roos and a hen hopefully the coop will be safe.

Hi,Ma Noob, Good news about your roo, but sorry to hear about your hen,she could turn up yet, oneof our Isas disappeared for 2 weeks a couple of years ago,we had given up on her then found her pecking away with the other hens,quite unconcerned as if nothing had happened! I'll keep the fingers crossed for you and her.
Have a good trip!

I had a sad weekend... I sold over twenty of my babies at an Auction..it was sad to sad goodbye to so many at once. Even worse was a horrible accident with my little goose. I just hate myself at the moment.. I didnt want to post this anywhere...but need to as a warning to others so they dont ever loose a bird in similar circumstances.

I was getting the four goslings form the shed ready for the sale- and the last one..the little chinese goose I was going to keep- was so lonely and sad looking I decided to take her out to poultry pavilion for the day. That way i could keep an eye on her and she wouldnt be completely lonely all day. Anyway...I was penning my birds... back and forth from the car to get more...I had already taken out the 4 other goslings- leaving the little one in a box. Sadly she tried to get out..and got her head stuck in between the top flaps of the box. I found her too late. I held her rubbing her tummy and trying to breath little breaths into her tiny nostrils...But it was to no avail. I am so angry as it was just stupid of me to leave her in the car like that.

Please be careful how you transport birds anywhere when buying or selling. i would hate it to happen to anyone else when it is an avoidable accident.

Knowing I was going home to an almost empty house- I was hopeful to find the breeder at the sale to organise another gosling. She was there and even had some goslings for sale. Having my new babies have helped me not beat myself up too much over what has happened. The new little one is slightly younger..and not as cute...but she is still sweet and loves cuddles.

Awww duckyfromoz
hugs.gif

Feel your pain - trying to do the right thing and it ends in no good
hu.gif

Something to be learnt from it, thanks for the warning. But remember accidents happen,
and that's what it was, a tragic accident.
hugs.gif

Oh,I'm so sorry,Ducky,your beautiful gosling
hugs.gif
these little ones can get themselves into so much trouble and as Annabella said it was an accident and you mustn't blame yourself - we had a Japanese chicken that got stuck in the broody lamp last week and died,it was so tiny it got into a space that we would never have imagined it could get into.

Give your new girl a big hug from me and Harry!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom