Australians - Where are you all????

Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

I CANT believe its called Oceania now. I got downgraded on my report because i called it "australia"
hmm.png

What are you talking about?

http://www.auschess.org.au/oceania/oceania.gif < Oceania is a region.. made up of a lot of different places.. Australia is still called Australia, if that is all you are talking bout.. The names of counties haven't changed, it's just like Eurasia( Europe and Asia )
hu.gif

Last edited:
Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

I CANT believe its called Oceania now. I got downgraded on my report because i called it "australia"
hmm.png

Err, maybe you should have handed her the assignment and, with a sympathetic look on your face, say "I think you need to read this".
Oceania is the area that Australia is in, along with new Zealand, Indonesia, malaysia, etc.
Here's the definition,

Oceania (ōshēăn`ēə, –ā`nēə) or Oceanica (ōshēăn`ĭkə), collective name for the approximately 25,000 islands of the Pacific, usually excluding such nontropical areas as the Ryukyu and Aleutian islands and Japan, as well as Taiwan, Indonesia, and the Philippines, whose populations are more closely related to mainland Asia. Oceania is generally considered synonomous with the South Sea Islands and is divided ethnologically into Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

So if you were doing a report on Australia and they told you the country's called Oceania, go to a new school. But if you were doing a report on Australia and surrounding areas then it would probably be called Oceania.​

Quote:
Err, maybe you should have handed her the assignment and, with a sympathetic look on your face, say "I think you need to read this".
Oceania is the area that Australia is in, along with new Zealand, Indonesia, malaysia, etc.
Here's the definition,

Oceania (ōshēăn`ēə, –ā`nēə) or Oceanica (ōshēăn`ĭkə), collective name for the approximately 25,000 islands of the Pacific, usually excluding such nontropical areas as the Ryukyu and Aleutian islands and Japan, as well as Taiwan, Indonesia, and the Philippines, whose populations are more closely related to mainland Asia. Oceania is generally considered synonomous with the South Sea Islands and is divided ethnologically into Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

So if you were doing a report on Australia and they told you the country's called Oceania, go to a new school. But if you were doing a report on Australia and surrounding areas then it would probably be called Oceania.

I was labeling a map, and i labeled Australia, australia, (meaning the whole continent and all that it entails) and he told me that australia, was no longer a continent. Just like pluto is no longer a planet ):

Australia (also known as Sahul, Australinea and Meganesia) is the smallest of the world's continents, comprising the Australian mainland and proximate islands including Tasmania, New Guinea, the Aru Islands and Raja Ampat Islands. Australia and these nearby islands, all part of the same geological landmass, are separated by seas overlying the continental shelf — the Arafura Sea and Torres Strait between Australia and New Guinea, and Bass Strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania.

Geologically, the continent extends to the edge of the continental shelf, so the now-separate lands can still be considered a continent.[1] Due to the spread of flora and fauna across the single Pleistocene landmass the separate lands have a related biota.
New Zealand is not on the same continental shelf and so is not part of the continent of Australia but is part of the submerged continent Zealandia. Zealandia and Australia together are part of the wider region known as Oceania or Australasia.

Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

Quote:
Here's the definition,

So if you were doing a report on Australia and they told you the country's called Oceania, go to a new school. But if you were doing a report on Australia and surrounding areas then it would probably be called Oceania.

I was labeling a map, and i labeled Australia, australia, (meaning the whole continent and all that it entails) and he told me that australia, was no longer a continent. Just like pluto is no longer a planet ):​

I just have one question. WHAT IS THIS GUY DOING TEACHING PEOPLE.
Just tell him that you know lots of fantastic Australians (aham, me:p) and they say that he should resign because Australia is Australia, and nothing else. Don't let him get away with this. People like this should be allowed in the world, they're dangerous.
And if he argues, show him this
cool.png
I'd love for him to know what I think of him.

Quote:
I was labeling a map, and i labeled Australia, australia, (meaning the whole continent and all that it entails) and he told me that australia, was no longer a continent. Just like pluto is no longer a planet ):

I just have one question. WHAT IS THIS GUY DOING TEACHING PEOPLE.
Just tell him that you know lots of fantastic Australians (aham, me:p) and they say that he should resign because Australia is Australia, and nothing else. Don't let him get away with this. People like this should be allowed in the world, they're dangerous.
And if he argues, show him this
cool.png
I'd love for him to know what I think of him.

Im not going to say that.. only because he is one of my favorite teachers and super nice. Apparently HE was TOLD he needed to call Australia, oceania because something about how the surrounding islands were nameless and it was all about Australia and something. So the continent is now called oceania?

news to me....... Mmmm where do you live?
Ohhh I live in Aust.... Ummm Oceania,
ep.gif

Where the hell is that????
In the ocean somewhere I think....
wee.gif

Does anyone know of the nameless Islands we have surrounding Oceania
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom