Australians - Where are you all????

ray's two cents :

Quote:
wait you mean that chook you showed me in the pic is a sex link! ha! please explain how you know this? they are not sex links...

The guy in the shop says our birds are all sex links. I didn't think the feed store sold anything else. What was she then?

Guinea: Yeah, they lay flat out for two years usually then crash and burn. Even my younger ones, aged many a year and four months, are starting to get old feathers/wattles and becoming less active.​

here is a site with sex links, just relised i got it muddled up, isa browns they are which are a type of sex link.

sex link types

Quote:
The guy in the shop says our birds are all sex links. I didn't think the feed store sold anything else. What was she then?

Guinea: Yeah, they lay flat out for two years usually then crash and burn. Even my younger ones, aged many a year and four months, are starting to get old feathers/wattles and becoming less active.

here is a site with sex links, just relised i got it muddled up, isa browns they are which are a type of sex link.

sex link types

Dude, are you saying mine are Isa browns? That's cool. I didn't think they even had a name besides sex-link. The orangey one always looked different from the others though, I don't know what she is .

ray's two cents :

Guinea: Yeah, they lay flat out for two years usually then crash and burn. Even my younger ones, aged many a year and four months, are starting to get old feathers/wattles and becoming less active.

yeah thats normal for them. consider getting a mix, Some hybrids and some pure breeds. As the pure breeds tend to stop laying during winter.​

Quote:
yeah thats normal for them. consider getting a mix, Some hybrids and some pure breeds. As the pure breeds tend to stop laying during winter.

:O Then we'd have to buy cage eggs
tongue.png
I would love some purebreeds.

ray's two cents :

Quote:

sex link types

Dude, are you saying mine are Isa browns? That's cool. I didn't think they even had a name besides sex-link. The orangey one always looked different from the others though, I don't know what she is .​

there are heaps of different sex links... they are called that because when they are born you can tell if they are male or female just with the faethering and so on instead of lokking.... ummmm, inside...

I have a bantam hen that is nearing on 3 years old and is still young acting Lol, she loves to dig everything up
roll.png

Yes they do tend to stop laying in winter time, But i just buy free range eggs from the shops when they stop for a few months. My aunts Mutt chickens tend to lay in the winter months a bit more, and the 3 isa browns i gave her are still going strong and healthy there, and they are 3 years old going on 4 at the end of this year, and still act young
roll.png
one escapes the pen daily.

Quote:
Dude, are you saying mine are Isa browns? That's cool. I didn't think they even had a name besides sex-link. The orangey one always looked different from the others though, I don't know what she is .

there are heaps of different sex links... they are called that because when they are born you can tell if they are male or female just with the faethering and so on instead of lokking.... ummmm, inside...

That's interesting. I'm glad I can finally put a name to my chickens though, just been calling them "the mutts" for years!
lol.png
Isa browns, Isa browns.
yippiechickie.gif

Do you think the orange one is an Isa Brown? Looks different to me, that's all.

Quote:
Wow, you're lucky, my old ones slow right down, shrivel up under their feathers... it's pretty sad to watch. Although my youngest still has the breath of youth in her yet, stealing my food while I'm eating and all
big_smile.png

ray's two cents :

Quote:

That's interesting. I'm glad I can finally put a name to my chickens though, just been calling them "the mutts" for years!
lol.png
Isa browns, Isa browns.
yippiechickie.gif

Do you think the orange one is an Isa Brown? Looks different to me, that's all.​

have a look at the website and see which one you think it most resembles....

ray's two cents :

Quote:
Wow, you're lucky, my old ones slow right down, shrivel up under their feathers... it's pretty sad to watch. Although my youngest still has the breath of youth in her yet, stealing my food while I'm eating and all
big_smile.png

That just seems odd to me, i would maybe change breeds :S​

Back
Top Bottom