Australians - Where are you all????

Quote:
Wow, you're lucky, my old ones slow right down, shrivel up under their feathers... it's pretty sad to watch. Although my youngest still has the breath of youth in her yet, stealing my food while I'm eating and all
big_smile.png

That just seems odd to me, i would maybe change breeds :S

I actually have no idea what breeds mine are
lol.png
I guess they just take spare chicks from any old farm to sell at the shop. I know one's an Isa Brown, the others look like the first hen in Silky's link... eh, we'll just see how it goes
lol.png
I'm just worried maybe it's the way we're caring for them.

Mine get fed Red Hen feed, the free range layer mix as it is all grains, their layer mix is mostly grains with micro pellets, they have the run of the back yard, get lots of veggie scraps and bugs, and weekly health checks ( which is just me looking them over for mites lice and bumble foot or other visible problems, and are wormed 2 times a year.
tongue.png

Do yours actually eat all the Red Hen? I liked it but they wasted so much they only get pellets in the hoppers now and treats, no free access grain. Pity because I'd happily give them the Red Hen if they ate it all.

Last edited:
Another reason I prefer ducks... They eat ANYTHING!! What ever is in the yellow scoop- they eat.

Its so quiet here now after the sale. And after next weekend I will have only 2 ducklings and 1 gosling ( maybe two )and 1 turkey. Lol...That will make for a really cute brooder. It just seems so weird to have time to yself in the evenings. I even finally got my tax done tonight.

Quote:
They eat most cept the split pea's, but before that they were on Pellets and just shoved those around the feeders and only picked at it, i tried all different brands they just don't eat them
hmm.png
even the micro pellets in the Red Hen Layer, hence why i get the Red hen free range layer no pellets, fussy lil things. I do keep having to tell mum not to give into their beady eyes just because all they have left is split pea's and some small amount of grains(so they actually eat them because there is nothing else there), but she gives in anyway. The sunflower seeds are the first to be eaten.

Plus, i found that some of the Pellets i tried them on made the egg's taste odd when cooked
idunno.gif
But maybe that was just me and my odd tastebuds.

Red Hen must be a pretty popular brand, that's what we buy from the local feed store too. They love it! Especially the big corn pieces, they're always the first to go.

Last edited:
Hi I'm in Adelaide South Australia. Have 8 girls Leghorn x New Hampshire. All are lovely to look at, brown feathers with white undertones and tail tips and cute little golden stripes on the back of their necks. Have only had 3 weeks, r 20 wks old now and today they ALL laid their first egg. I'm exhausted for them.

Hi chookin!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm in Adelaide also, where abouts are you?
big_smile.png
(First person I've seen from Adelaide here
yippiechickie.gif
)
I have three chickens at the moment... sex-links too, but I reckon they're Isa Browns, so they'd have white speckles on their necks instead of golden.

I'm Glenelg way. You?

Some girls are more orangey brown and others are darker brown. The neck stripes do vary a bit - some seem golden and others more white. Should be able to post a picture soon - the only I have. Had phone meltdown yesterday and lost some nice ones.

Assume picture will go in sidebar? Don't know. Will find out.

Back
Top Bottom