Australians - Where are you all????

chic-a-deee, some of my Silkies are now well over 2 and a half and still laying eggs, albeit very sporadically. My other girls range between 18 months and 2 yrs., also still laying.

Am just about to adopt 3 ex battery hens at weekend to join the 8 girls, so new enclosed areas being constructed! I always say no more chickens, but keep adding to the flock!

Last edited:
Hi,
What is the average age for a chicken to live to anyhow???  Mine are around 12 months & the roo about 19months.
Im near Wollongong NSW

Not sure on averages, but one of my friends has a hen thats over 10 years old- she hasn't laid for a long long time, and shes ratty as anything!
I think shrs a special case though, they seem to either get eaten, sick or simply drop dead long before old age xD

Not sure on averages, but one of my friends has a hen thats over 10 years old- she hasn't laid for a long long time, and shes ratty as anything!
I think shrs a special case though, they seem to either get eaten, sick or simply drop dead long before old age xD
Thats good. I hear the meat birds are lucky to live past 12months (cos I got one for a pet....silly me)
I have 3 layers that are over 12months. I got them when they were 3 days old....so gorgeous. I added the 12month old roo when the girls where about 13weeks old & they all settled in very well....absolutely no problems. Just a bit of a problem adding the LONE meat bird.....not much success & she is getting bigger than they are. She is very submissive & always runs away when any chicken goes near her. Im just letting her outside in the yard now. They all get on well enough free ranging tho....so that is encouraging.
smile.png

hi to everyone, been ages since I have been on.
ON the age issue-
OLIVER- is 12 years old, Cochin with a touch of tar brush. He is showing NO signs of age. His sister wife-died at 10. I recently bred him to my cochn girl because I wanted his line to go one. I got 3 hens and 6 roosters!!! I plan to keep them all though as I love roosters as pets. Added a 4m x 2m extension so they have a 5m x 4m pen now which can be divided into 3 when required. They all free range at least half day every day.

Gidday there! Another Aussie here from Parmelia in Perth, Western Australia (momentarily). Just brand new to this group of folks and still finding my way around the site. I will have a tone of questions as time goes by.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom