Australorps breed Thread

Pics
Rachel'sFlock :

Quote:
no hidden nest, but i also have a RIR, EE, And a Black Star same age, but no eggs, although the Black star has sung the egg song a couple of times within the past week, so i guess any day now.
hu.gif

enough protein? enough light hours?
I have no idea what their hold-up is, but these are the things I always hear about affecting laying.
I hope you wake up to a sweet little brown egg (or 3) tomorrow!!!
fl.gif

Between 6 and 7 months ..Mine just started laying at 6 mos..One is still holding out a little longer..Its OK...After 9 mos there might be a problem..You might find very tiny egg at first..For whatever reason Mine have been good size eggs right away..The first year their eggs might not be that big but they catch up..And thou they are like any chicken breed and will let up a bit in winter months..I have found that Australorps will go even in longer winter days if they are well provided for and are fairly comforatble..Stress or a fright can set them back a little..

Rachel'sFlock :

My little girls, at 23 weeks, today!
Happy Birthday AliceAnne, Gladys, Mathilda, Molly, Agnes, and Edna!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58241_23_week_old_chooks_028.jpg

Miss Molly Malone
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58241_23_week_old_chooks_019.jpg

AliceAnne doing what she does best!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58241_23_week_old_chooks_037.jpg

6 months ago, if someone had told me I would be madly in love with chickens, I would have laughed in their face!
A lot can happen in 6 months! lol

Bright Blessings

That last picture is pricless!! So cute..They are the sweetest birds.. Those are some nice girls...I have one hen that tries to jump in the car with me every day..If Im sitting in there checking my schedule and adding to it..in the calander book or making a list, she comes up and jumps up on the runner bar and has jumped into my lap a couple times...​

That last picture is pricless!! So cute..They are the sweetest birds.. Those are some nice girls...I have one hen that tries to jump in the car with me every day..If Im sitting in there checking my schedule and adding to it..in the calander book or making a list, she comes up and jumps up on the runner bar and has jumped into my lap a couple times...

That is so funny!
I have no trouble iagining them wanting to go anywhere we go, as they are curious, friendly and sort of adamant about it! They spend as much time in my lap as possible!
Thank you for the kind words. I am pretty mad for these ladies!

Brightest Blessings​

Thanks
smile.png
yeah Im glad I got them well techincally my daughter Luella pointed out to them , shes like I want those black, yellow and white ones lol... I looked and it said Australorps. Im like okay sure. I wish now that I had gotten more. Maybe this next spring when the place that sells them has them again. Shiptons in Billings Montana...
smile.png

Right now I have those eggs from my oldest hen Peachy the one whos with the Dark Cornish Batam roo in the incubator and they are due to hatch on tuesday so Im keeping my fingers crossed that they hatch.. Luella loves her aussies heheheee and so do I...
smile.png

We have a lavender australorp project going at this time. Have 16 F1 pullets who will be laying soon. Over the next few weeks I plan to cull to about ten hens, twelve if they are good enough. Looking forward to seeing some lavender aussie chicks eventually - guess they will be here before I know it, but time drags until that first egg arrives! I love calm, curious, beautiful laying hens and this breed is all that and more.
smile.png

I would very much like to see photos of australorps in blue, splash and lavender if anyone has some to share.

Quote:
How old were your hens in this picture? This is exactly how mine look now, and I was told that they are 6 months old. I think possibly that they might be younger based on other owners posted pictures. Perhaps if you know how old these were when this was taken, I could judge their age a little more accurately.

Thanks!

65390_2010_11030006.jpg
[/img]
65390_2010_11030025.jpg
[/img]
65390_2010_11030012.jpg
[/img]

65390_2010_11030016.jpg
[/img] More pics of my aussies. You can see my rooster Sam alot better now he wouldnt hold still so I couldnt get his tail feathers. Hes gonna make a handsome daddy, hes already mated with my Australorp hens and my patridge rock hen
smile.png
Cannot wait to get eggs from them
smile.png
hopefully this spring time for sure
65390_2010_11030018.jpg
[/img]
Sure have been enjoying them alot. Probably will get some next year . Anyway those eggs that I got from my hen peachy and the daddy is Cotton my Dark Cronish rooster didnt make it. One pipped but got too weak, and the other one must of died early, they were really both beautiful , Oh well try , try and try again

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom