Auto Feeder

Quote:
It appears to be so, I am rebuilding my new one with a flat one. We received about 2" of rain and the new one for the chicks had soaked feed almost 4" up the pipe. Glad I decided not to glue it on for cleaning reasons!

For the flat one I used superglue and a piece of electrical tape. It's fragile (good/bad) in that the glue will shatter if banged on concrete if you need to get the end off. I'd like to come up with another solution for that, but for now it works.

Both of my feeders are completely exposed. I guess it makes sense - water follows the curvature of the pipe down to the hole, vs. a flat one it just runs off the sides.

Ah I understand now. I was trying to picture water getting into the joint where the cap goes on the pipe and it's the same for both so I was confused. Now I understand that it runs down the curvature and is wicked up into the feed. Good to know-thanks!

Hi can sumone tell mt how the 2 metal peaces stay together are they welded or super glue? And the ends what is that melted glue stick?

Hi can sumone tell mt how the 2 metal peaces stay together are they welded or super glue? And the ends what is that melted glue stick?
After looking at a picture of the trigger I can assume The two metal pieces will be spot welded together a simple process if you have the right tools. The plastic will be some sort of PVC or Polystyrene that is molded in place. It will be patented If they were smart because its an ingenious invention. Oh and the metal will be either chrome plated steel wire or Stainless steel wire approximately ten gauge.

deb "who has been searching for a picture of this thing for a couple of months"

Quote: They didn't patent it, they are a very nice older couple from Scotland. The thread where they popped in to say hello is here and it looks like they have a website now -> http://triggerhappychickens.co.uk/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The shipping is more expensive than the piece itself, I bought two for around $20 including shipping a couple years ago. They are still going strong and I'm still very happy with my original pipe design (the one with the flat bottom)![/FONT]

Last edited:
Quote:
They didn't patent it, they are a very nice older couple from Scotland. The thread where they popped in to say hello is here and it looks like they have a website now -> http://triggerhappychickens.co.uk/

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The shipping is more expensive than the piece itself, I bought two for around $20 including shipping a couple years ago. They are still going strong and I'm still very happy with my original pipe design (the one with the flat bottom)![/FONT]

I have been to the site. They offer a package of five for the same shipping as one. I needed to see a picture of the thing in order to justify purchasing one So I am glad someone posted a picture. Because I wont buy something if I can make it. Five would make all the feeders I need for my breed pens.

Your flat bottom idea is spot on too. I have a problem with blowing wind so May put a rubber boot on the bottom The kind used to join two PVC pipes with a Strap clamp. The rubber would seal out capillary action of the water plus having an inch or so over hang will keep water from being blown in.

deb "who was a mechanical designer in a past life"

Great to know yours are still working out! My son's school is getting chickens, and I'm working out the very easiest / least messy way to feed in our wet climate. I've already planned on nipple waterers, and though I looked at the trigger feeder a few years ago, I never got one myself. The school will be a nice place to try it out.

Just ordered 5 of these for US $40 with shipping. Am going to share with some of my chicken friends when they get here. Can't wait to try this out, my girls are almost 3 weeks old and moving into their new coop this week! And it's nice to be able to support a little at home business. The makers sound like nice folks!

I came across this post and have found a cheaper method! Simply use a cheap drill bit bought from any hardware store ($4.99 in this case) in the same way that you would use the auto-feeder! I'm using a plastic gallon milk carton, just make a hole in the top using a soldering iron or other method and put the drill bit in! Works a charm! :)

Ok I am interested in this for sure.. I am so tried of all the wasted food I find when I clean the coop..My husband has an old rusty drill bit just like that on his work bench.. Been there for years so you say if I make a hole in a bucket , drop the bit thru the hole shaft first I am thinking so the bit holds it in place, fill the bucket with feed and the chickens will come over hit the bit and food will fall down, This sounds so simple...I am going to try it and see how it works..Thanks for the idea..

Back
Top Bottom