Automatic watering

Jack-I saw an idea on this website using a large dia. Pvc pipe with the top half cut off it like a trough and then a down spout with an elbow on it to pour the feed into which ends up In the trough. You can put a cap on the fill end and the one I saw was 4" dia pipe, which gave plenty of volume for feed.

I have a large flock, so I have several feeders inside their coop (which is a transmorgrified old dilapidated garage). Two of the feeders are made from PVC pipe. Well, one is PVC the other is ABS pipe; the latter has a Y adapter on the bottom, with gravel and DE in the bottom of the Y to fill up the space so feed doesn't get down where the chickens can't reach it. Made it myself. The PVC pipe one was an eBay score; all I had to do was put it together, no messing around in the plumbing department of Lowe's to figger out which fittings would work best.

Here's the link to the item, so y'all can see how it's made (if'n you don't wanna just purchase one outright).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-9...003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5e5ee443

Not my concept of an"Automatic feeder". Lets take a 30 gallon drum filled with chicken feed and have it spread feed into your run area much like an automatic "deer" feeder! Same concept with a timer to control what time you want it to go off. Morning and evening if prefered. You can be sleeping in or eating dinner at night and the birds are being fed without you doing any work. Set it and forget it! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Made about the same thing used a 35 gal food grade drum and used one of those re useable coffee filters to make sure stuff stays out of the tank and the lid clamps on so its easy clean just add a cap full of bleach when full and it has had no problems and stays clean so far.

Hawgon! I like this idea for inside the coop. A couple of these would be reasonable and provide for less frequent filling. I'll use the spreader feeder I'm concocting for my run area. Thanks for the tip and the web pictures were great!

A few things to consider:

1. Shingled or tarred roof would contribute asphalt compounds and particulates to the water.
2. The first few gallons of runoff in every rain event will be pretty nasty. I'd research 'first rain separator' and 'first flush' ideas: usually consisting of just a t, a section of pvc (2gal volume/100ft2 roof area) and a valve at the bottom.
3. Sand filter might not be a bad idea, either.

I flirted with this idea, did my research, and concluded it wasn't worth the time/expense/health risk to mess with. Maybe someday, but for now there's more pressing projects in my queue...

Pico de gallo! Looked, but couldnt find your profile. I always like to know whom I'm talkin to and where you hail from.
In response to your very welcomed concerns, My coop is 8' x 16' and has an aluminum car port roof with overhangs. No shingles here! Of course there is insulated tar paper underneath for weather elements and water protection. The barrel has a lid that has a screening with holes small enough to keep out mosquitos and other unwanted debri. It also comes with a spigot and overflow attachment. Cary Company sells these and multiple other products. A tad expensive, but a person could use the same concept. I have 1" pvc piping with nipple feeders and an end drain plug for flushing if necessary. I will surely download some pics when complete to show BYC members my roost and chicks in the near future. I dont percieve a problem other than water freezing in the barrel during winter months. I plan on a water heater, but havent found one as yet. Thanks for your feedback. Update your profile!

I agree Jack. My setup is the panels into new gutters with a screen before the barrel and a soon to be added reusable coffee filter after the barrell(don't ask, still working on it).
Several veteran chicken-raisers have told me we have to remember these are animals that drink from mud puddles and peck at their own poop so the dont need filtered water...The water in my brooder nipple system has to be cleaner than the standard waterer that is full of pine shaving and misc other stuff 5 minutes after I change it...I put my brooder system in this last weekend when they were about 3.5 weeks old but I have seen many post that they are capable of a nipple system at several days old. It just took me a little bit to get fed up with that standard waterer.....lol....my chickens are at www.ustream.tv hawgon

Back
Top Bottom