bachelor pen issues

kjk

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 29, 2009
zionsville, indiana
I have 8 roosters in a bachelor pen. They are all between 6-8 months old. They have been in the bachelor pen for about two weeks. 3 of them have decided to gang up on the one. I found him a few days ago with his comb torn and covered in blood. I separated him for a bit to recover. Once I put him back in the others they trapped him in a corner and were attempting to mate with him. This is happening pretty consistently. Will the 3 roosters become less aggressive toward the other one? Is there something I can do to get them to integrate better? or do I need to rehome the 3 aggressive/dominant ones?

Is this even done? I didn't know you could keep that many roosters together, especially by themselves...I will be interested to see what comments you get!
Keri

I would rehome the agressive roosters. If you rehome the submissive rooster, they will gang up on another rooster. Be aware that if you rehome them, some of the more submissive roosters may exhibit the same behavior. They will never let the "target" alone.

time to let the 3 tuff guys free range.

I heard of someone teacher a bully hen a lesson using a lazer pointer. the bully hen was always picking on everyone in the coop, so to give her a taste of being bullied, this person got a lazer pointer and would point the pointer around on the ground and all the chickens would go after it pecking at it. then he would put the lazer spot on the bully hen and everyone went after it. the hen would be picked on by everyone. he did this for a while for a couple days. the bully hen has never picked on any of the others since. sounds possible.

they free range for several hours each day. i'll think about the laser pointer but i'm wary about encouraging violence and fighting among them.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom