Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I also suspect there might be some salt in the soil. there were shells in it and I have recently spoke to someone who has similar problem.

I am selling a house (hope to find a buyer) and plan to buy 2-3 acre of land. I want to make a chicken paradise, garden, orchard and I also think about a few goats as well.

We were blessed with a a nice harvest last year, not anything fancy, but nice. Last year we put a lot of mulch from a tree service on it in the fall and leaves from our own trees. Yesterday when we went to transplant strawberries into a different location, I could not believe how beautiful that black dirt was. So beautiful, rich, filled with worms, big fat worms, all over the place worms. I could not believe how much better that black dirt looked this year after a full season of mulch and leaves on it. Did you mulch last fall? Gardening really starts in the fall, preparing the beds for the next spring. Keep doing what you can to improve the soil. You have gotten a lot of good advice. Good gardens are not something that happens overnight, they take time and care and patience. We have learned so much in the last year and it has been a great learning experience.

Spent the afternoon mulching my wine berry patch with free wood chips. Very excited for snake/chigger free berry picking this summer
thumbsup.gif

I wish I could share wonderful wineberries with the people of BYC... they grow like weeds at my grandmothers house so I have cultivated massive numbers of plants. They are so delicious.
those are soo neat, I have never heard of a "wineberry" I need them lol // i have 3 or 4 different kinds of wild blackberry including some early season trailing ones and i have dewberries ( i prefer them over the blackberries) all together they take up like half an acre // i just planted blueberries last year and they are loving it

BTE gardening has grabbed my attention, really interesting concept and apparently works wonders in places. This will be the first year in many that we've had a garden though we're *not* accomplished gardeners. Before coming upon BTE gardening, I had already tilled up the garden area, but I figure I can still pile on the organics. I'm really curious regarding southern gardeners' results with this. I'm down in south Alabama...the enchanted land of heat and humidity and my greatest fear is to build a giant housing complex for fire ants.

I've got some property that I can gather leaves and forest debris from. Chips and shredded matter from tree trimming operations tends to bother me due to the state and county's obsession with spray herbicdes (killers and growth-inhibitors) on the ROW and neighboring trees.<GGRRRRR> As for hay, many farmers are using picloram and other persistent poisons on the hayfields.... :( Thus, acquiring *safe* organics in an easy way might be a bit out of reach for me.

Anyhow....any southern gardeners out there doing BTE gardening....any fire ant issues?...creative sources of non-poisoned organics?

Thanks!!!
Ed

I wish I could share wonderful wineberries with the people of BYC... they grow like weeds at my grandmothers house so I have cultivated massive numbers of plants. They are so delicious.
I wish I was near to take some. raspberries, blackberries, etc. cost as the fruit trees here. I got a few raspberries and blackberries and I wonder if they will grow here. they are about 2-3 inches tall at the moment. I put some pine shavings/chicken poop mix than more pine shavings and I hope they will grow well.

BTE gardening has grabbed my attention, really interesting concept and apparently works wonders in places. This will be the first year in many that we've had a garden though we're *not* accomplished gardeners. Before coming upon BTE gardening, I had already tilled up the garden area, but I figure I can still pile on the organics. I'm really curious regarding southern gardeners' results with this. I'm down in south Alabama...the enchanted land of heat and humidity and my greatest fear is to build a giant housing complex for fire ants.

I've got some property that I can gather leaves and forest debris from. Chips and shredded matter from tree trimming operations tends to bother me due to the state and county's obsession with spray herbicdes (killers and growth-inhibitors) on the ROW and neighboring trees.<GGRRRRR> As for hay, many farmers are using picloram and other persistent poisons on the hayfields.... :( Thus, acquiring *safe* organics in an easy way might be a bit out of reach for me.

Anyhow....any southern gardeners out there doing BTE gardening....any fire ant issues?...creative sources of non-poisoned organics?

Thanks!!!
Ed
no fire ants here but some people put corn meal to get rid of ants. when they eat it and then drink water they die.

Back
Top Bottom