Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

@Faraday40
I got 2 of the dwarf cherries last year. They were 2 different varieties. Some bug really attacked the leaves last year so I wasn't sure they'd survive. They did, and are leaving out right now with some blossoms on the larger one.

I'm guessing it will be next year before there is much of a crop.

I'll have to take a photo :)

We planted a 2nd one last year. No flowers, but for its 1st winter it survived the polar vortex and was completely covered by snow for a couple weeks. That's hardy!

This year their re-doing the gas lines. There are flags right next to where the new cherry bush got planted. Hope it survives the utility work.

I hopefully will soon start building my new house in my new place. there is very little earth and a lot of stones. as I can get horse manure for free is there any way to prevent weeds growing from the seeds in horse manure? if I cover it with nylon-plastic sheet, would it kill them?

I hopefully will soon start building my new house in my new place. there is very little earth and a lot of stones. as I can get horse manure for free is there any way to prevent weeds growing from the seeds in horse manure? if I cover it with nylon-plastic sheet, would it kill them?

Compost it well, in large pallet sized 4 x 4 x 4 piles to kill all the weed seed. It usually has quit a bit of seed in it, and at times I have spread it and let the clover grow!! lol

When our septic field was put in I save money on the loam by using the horse manure to improve the top soil. Looking back I wish I had started with a layer of loam and then added the compost.

Remember that some hays have a grow retardant junk sprayed on it and THAT affects garden seeds-- meaning they wont grow well, if at all. I dont know how the barns are supposed to know if the fields are sprayed. Takes 5-7 years to decay. Perhaps that is another reason to compost it in bins and test it before going onto your growring areas. Feels like a crap shoot.

Can we keep this thread going???

I started watching CHarles DOwding, and how he starts with layers of cardboard but used composted material to add a layer every fall. For obvious reasons, ( a few horses) I need to pile up the manure so we are p iling into composting bins this year to heat it up better and kill of more germs.

Ealy blight seems the likely bugger to hit my young tomatoes. The benfit of using non-sterilized compost when repotting. ANd a deluge of rain to splash and nearly drown the plants. sigh.

have reseeded some varities and purchased a few more common varieites.

Planted in the new plants, and then covered bed with shavings to keep the soils from splashing on the leaves.

-----Shall we try to continue this thread??
Saw a video on youtube by Michigan gardener... a geekie guy who has a fabulous garden. He has a video on preventing blight. He of course takes off the lower branches maybe a foot.. he also sprays with a baking soda spray for it at first sign and keeps the airflow between the plants and some other tips

Compost it well, in large pallet sized 4 x 4 x 4 piles to kill all the weed seed. It usually has quit a bit of seed in it, and at times I have spread it and let the clover grow!! lol

When our septic field was put in I save money on the loam by using the horse manure to improve the top soil. Looking back I wish I had started with a layer of loam and then added the compost.

Remember that some hays have a grow retardant junk sprayed on it and THAT affects garden seeds-- meaning they wont grow well, if at all. I dont know how the barns are supposed to know if the fields are sprayed. Takes 5-7 years to decay. Perhaps that is another reason to compost it in bins and test it before going onto your growring areas. Feels like a crap shoot.

thank you. I will check what they feed horses.

Saw a video on youtube by Michigan gardener... a geekie guy who has a fabulous garden. He has a video on preventing blight. He of course takes off the lower branches maybe a foot.. he also sprays with a baking soda spray for it at first sign and keeps the airflow between the plants and some other tips

I chopped sage leaves, put it around tomatoes and watered little every day. after a week new leaves started to grow.

I chopped sage leaves, put it around tomatoes and watered little every day. after a week new leaves started to grow.

Prevention.... I should have followed my usual proceedure, which is using a cold frame, as that generlly prevents rain directly spashing on to the seedlings and their soil, AND as I hand watered , NO soggy roots. But I changed procedures this year and was NOT careful.

So yes, I removed all the spotted leaves, and burned them. Sprayed with baking soda and dish detergent. Repeated removal of leaves and spraying.

The color has improved from a pale green-yellow to a good green. Not seeing any more spots. Not sure if good growth will return. Only a few tiny leaves left on most of them.

Blueberries didnt seem to be bothered, until I sprayed it. For many of the plants, the edges of the leaves browned, like where the baking soda mixture drained to and concentrated. So Im blaming the spray for that damage.

Im still leary about planting them out. WIll they be stunted and worthless?

My new babies are already 1" high.

Back
Top Bottom