Backyard Brahmas!!

We moved our Brahmas into their new coop/run. They seem to like it. I tried to show them their coop and that was a complete bust. I'm a little unsure what to do...let them figure it out themselves? We have a couple nights coming soon that will be cold. They are feathered out. I'm so nervous.

We moved our Brahmas into their new coop/run. They seem to like it. I tried to show them their coop and that was a complete bust. I'm a little unsure what to do...let them figure it out themselves? We have a couple nights coming soon that will be cold. They are feathered out. I'm so nervous.

I have no idea how to help you solve your problem... But that's an awesome looking coop! Nice work!

It's really up to you - do you plan to confine them to the coop at night or leave the coop open to the run 24/7? If you want them in the coop, you can let them figure it out or you can go out and either place them in the coop each evening or lure/call them into the coop each night.....but if you go that route and want them to STAY in the coop you will want to close the chicken door for at least a few nights or they'll likely pop right back out after your efforts to get them in.

I just moved mine into a new coop as well. First night, I had to place everyone in one of the "apartments". I sort of decided who went where after watching how they acted together. Tonight was the second night. When it was close to dark, everyone had picked an "apartment" to go into (I left two of the coops open to give them options until they fully integrate). Amazing enough, the way I had placed them last night was NOT the arrangement that they picked for tonight. I expect tomorrow night, the older ones will all go into one coop and the younger will stay in the second.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying as long as they are safe, let them work it out themselves. I needed to have all of mine in a coop because they are not safe outside. But after the first night of forcing, they were all tucked away tonight.

On a different note, the one that I have that tends to go broody won't stay away from the old coop. She flies over the fence to get back to the old coop to lay her egg. She's done that two days in a row, and then waits for me to lift her up to put her back in (now, if she could fly out shouldn't she be able to fly back in?). Her old coop is going to be dismantled in the next day or two, so soon she won't have anywhere to go. Funny how chickens become attached to a particular place.

ya.gif

My backyard, hatchery Brahmas -- two dark hens and a light rooster from Ideal -- are impressing people with their size. Marion is now over two feet tall at about 9 months old. Noodle and Kiev are twice the size of a friend's hens (mixed hens from Tractor Supply and the second generation from an Easter Egger rooster).

I can't hatch any myself but this friend wants some additional genetics in her flocks rather than have the same roo breed successive generations so once she has a broody I'll be providing her some eggs that are at least half-Brahma and get to see my second generation.

Marion has worn the feathers off the backs of the two Delawares, the Australorp, and the black Langshan but so far Noodle and Kiev are OK -- just a little rumpled-looking. I guess that's why its called the cushion and why its so thick on the Brahma hens -- to protect them from a big rooster's feet. He's not rough, just big.

I just moved mine into a new coop as well. First night, I had to place everyone in one of the "apartments". I sort of decided who went where after watching how they acted together. Tonight was the second night. When it was close to dark, everyone had picked an "apartment" to go into (I left two of the coops open to give them options until they fully integrate). Amazing enough, the way I had placed them last night was NOT the arrangement that they picked for tonight. I expect tomorrow night, the older ones will all go into one coop and the younger will stay in the second.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying as long as they are safe, let them work it out themselves. I needed to have all of mine in a coop because they are not safe outside. But after the first night of forcing, they were all tucked away tonight.

On a different note, the one that I have that tends to go broody won't stay away from the old coop. She flies over the fence to get back to the old coop to lay her egg. She's done that two days in a row, and then waits for me to lift her up to put her back in (now, if she could fly out shouldn't she be able to fly back in?). Her old coop is going to be dismantled in the next day or two, so soon she won't have anywhere to go. Funny how chickens become attached to a particular place.

ya.gif

LOL - you would think so, but have you ever seen any animal who has managed to get out of their fenced area run frantically up and down the SAME fence line and have no idea how to reverse the process and get back IN

LOL - you would think so, but have you ever seen any animal who has managed to get out of their fenced area run frantically up and down the SAME fence line and have no idea how to reverse the process and get back IN
Yeah, I used to show horses. Talk about getting themselves in trouble but not being able to get out of it! Anyway, it is amazing to me that she'll just free range patiently waiting for me to come and put her back in with the others. She's not liking the new nest boxes is my guess, but who knows what a chicken is thinking (and if you think you know, I know a good psychiatrist LOL). So, I think that I'll wait until the old coop is dismantled, maybe then she'll decide to stay in the new coop to lay.

Of the ones that are laying, only the one that is escaping to lay is actually laying any eggs. One other looks like she's thinking about it, but can't decide if she can safely lay in the new coop. I'm just really excited that they settled themselves tonight without any intervention on my part. Interesting that the two alpha hens decided to sleep in the same condo. I don't know if they've decide to get along now or if there is just so much new space in this new coop that they can avoid each other. Again, who knows what a chicken is thinking?

idunno.gif

It's really up to you - do you plan to confine them to the coop at night or leave the coop open to the run 24/7?  If you want them in the coop, you can let them figure it out or you can go out and either place them in the coop each evening or lure/call them into the coop each night.....but if you go that route and want them to STAY in the coop you will want to close the chicken door for at least a few nights or they'll likely pop right back out after your efforts to get them in.

Thank you for all your suggestions...I ended up putting a low watt light pointed toward the coop opening and they all stayed inside...so far. I guess this is trial and error at this point.

Thank you for all your suggestions...I ended up putting a low watt light pointed toward the coop opening and they all stayed inside...so far. I guess this is trial and error at this point.
i used a laser pointer to get mine in the new coop. They would chase it right in and i closed the door

Back
Top Bottom