Backyard Brahmas!!

I wouldn't worry about the darker feathers, personally, they may go away when she molts all her big girl feathers.
wink.png
. And mine are a lighter shade than my Orpington. My buff laced lays a lighter creamy latte' color with dark speckles , and my gold laced lays only ever so slightly darker eggs.
wink.png
What do you think of her body shape and overall quality?

@bumpercarr

@holm25

@sigmachigirl

Thanks y'all for your opinions, I was pretty sure I have another roo on my hands but its nice to have a confirmation on that. I'm also glad to hear their dark feathers may molt out and come in with the truer color pattern of the breed.

@Junibutt

I think your girl is beautiful.  She has far less dark feathering than mine do.  Where did you get her?
I really expected mine to look more like the photo in the catalog.

Your girl isn't that different.

Last edited:
@bumpercarr

@holm25

@sigmachigirl

Thanks y'all for your opinions, I was pretty sure I have another roo on my hands but its nice to have a confirmation on that. I'm also glad to hear their dark feathers may molt out and come in with the truer color pattern of the breed.

@Junibutt

I think your girl is beautiful. She has far less dark feathering than mine do. Where did you get her?
I really expected mine to look more like the photo in the catalog.

Your girl isn't that different.
Believe it or not, I got her from a feed store who in turn got her from a hatchery in Michigan. (I will try to get the name of the hatchery from them). One of her sisters did not have any black on her but since she was the smallest of them, I gave her away along with her brother who was very good looking. I feel bad now because I heard she has turned out to be a beauty. I still have another sister Sleepy who has only a few dark spots on her back.

What do you think of her body shape and overall quality?
She's a pretty girl! I am no expert though on body shape or quality. ;). I just know what I like, and beautiful babies are what I like to have running around our urban farming back yard. If you are concerned with breeding I would see about getting someone knowledgeable from this thread or the brahmas thread. Maybe go online and look for a brahmas breeding group page which states the standards for what is considered acceptable. My first 3 experiences were not fabulous with the original breeder. She was attempting a silver laced pattern. We just wanted pretty birds that were girls. The first two ended up boys, and the 3rd, our Pom attacked. We weren't allowed to keep boys where we are. the one my dog killed was my only light brahma. It was then that I decided to find someone with more breeding experience, and whose chickens I could check out in person. That was how I ended up with my buff and gold laced girls.

Back
Top Bottom