Backyard Brahmas!!

An interesting color. Daddy is a partridge Brahma, Mama is a blue Brahma. I'm not trying to create a new color, just wanted to hatch some chicks so gathered eggs one day and put them in the incubator. I think she's a beauty! She looks to be very close to laying age, so I'll probably hatch some of her chicks just for fun.

All breeds are affected by the number of hours of daylight available, be they natural or artificially supplemented.
Yup. It seems pullets will start laying when ever they're supposed to, even if it's mid winter and lay right straight through no matter how many hours of daylight they're getting. BUT the following fall, when they're a year old, they'll slow down once the days shorten. At least that's been my little bit of limited experience in the past year that I've actually paid close attention to what they do and how and when they do it.

I wish I would have paid a bit closer attention to our laying hens growing up. More than to make sure they had food and water and gather eggs and chase them in each night lol

All breeds are affected by the number of hours of daylight available, be they natural or artificially supplemented.
Living in the tropics, of course, our daylight hours aren´t quite as long nor quite as short as those places further from the equator, so here at the moment my chickens are laying like fury, and we´re getting about 13 or so hours of daylight, which is supposed to be the lower end for good egg-laying. In the summer, we get maybe 15 hours of daylight, and in the winter it´s down to about 10 hours. I do still get some eggs, but just a dribble.

Puts me in mind of a Gyrfalcon.
You´re right!
lol.png
But it (chick) lacks the grace!

An interesting color. Daddy is a partridge Brahma, Mama is a blue Brahma. I'm not trying to create a new color, just wanted to hatch some chicks so gathered eggs one day and put them in the incubator. I think she's a beauty! She looks to be very close to laying age, so I'll probably hatch some of her chicks just for fun.
She´s a curious colour, isn´t she? What colour cockbird will you use with her? Back to blue again?

I don't have a solid blue rooster, but I have a blue partridge and a gold/black partridge. I also have a blue Columbian cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom