Backyard Brahmas!!

I have a question about Brahma egg color. My pullets just started laying but their eggs are different shades. One is pinkish brown whereas the other one is even lighter brown. I only have one pic for the pinkish brown one. What color is it supposed to be?

Brahma egg is 3rd from left.

I have a question about Brahma egg color. My pullets just started laying but their eggs are different shades. One is pinkish brown whereas the other one is even lighter brown. I only have one pic for the pinkish brown one. What color is it supposed to be?

Brahma egg is 3rd from left.
I'm curious too what their eggs will look like. The one you posted looks like my Speckled Sussex's eggs.

Mine lay anywhere from light pinkish brown to a terracotta (color and texture) and then some very light tan. Some are speckled too. I dont know what the standard actually calls for or of that is even in the standard.... I'm new.

Mine usually lay from a cream color all of the way to a terra cotta color. I've even had birds that will lay a darker egg on day one, then they lighten as the week goes on until they take a day (or two) off before starting again. My egg carton is generally quite a collection of shades of brown/tan.....and I have not had any other breed but brahmas for about 2 1/2 years. (only one layer right now, it's a long story) Usually, the older ones lay lighter eggs and the younger ones darker eggs, but that isn't always the case....just most of the time. As a hen ages, there is generally less pigmentation in the eggshell. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Mine usually lay from a cream color all of the way to a terra cotta color. I've even had birds that will lay a darker egg on day one, then they lighten as the week goes on until they take a day (or two) off before starting again. My egg carton is generally quite a collection of shades of brown/tan.....and I have not had any other breed but brahmas for about 2 1/2 years. (only one layer right now, it's a long story) Usually, the older ones lay lighter eggs and the younger ones darker eggs, but that isn't always the case....just most of the time. As a hen ages, there is generally less pigmentation in the eggshell. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
That helps! I had started thinking lesser of the one that lays lighter eggs:)

All of my girls started laying, finally. For some reason they all use the same nest, weirdos. Two of them will even squeeze in to lay at the same time! They're all around 6 months now, I stopped counting weeks when the first girl laid her first egg at 26 weeks.

So far I've hard brown, cream, pinkish brown. On top of that I've had eggs that are HUGE with double yolks, egg that was on the floor of the hen house with NO shell or membrane just the yolk/white, egg with no shell, but perfect membrane, and soft shelled egg once. No more weak eggs in the past two weeks, but man, those were weird.

I'm really loving the Brahmas, though I just added 4 new young chickens. One is a red comet and three are Easter Eggers (not the true Americanas, but still cute, puffy faces!). The comet is a roo, not sure about one of the others. Everyone that sees my Brahmas comments on how big and beautiful they are. Just such a great breed.

Congrats! Getting eggs for the first time is always exciting. My dark brahma still hasn't laid. Though I am glad a couple of the others have picked up again since I added lighting a month ago..
I got two 6 month old light brahma pullets over the weekend. Though it seems funny to use the term pullet to describe such massive birds. I love these things! They're like enormous clucking marshmallows. Lol

I know! Marshmallows is right. Everyone that sees me or my kids cuddling the big Roo's think it's just nuts how we can handle such big birds so easily.

Only the local animals avoid them. Even the hawks are intimidated.

I know! They're so massive and terrifying looking with that heavy brow. Like they're constantly scowling. And they're actually the sweetest cuddly things in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom