baking bread

You stir up the dough in a large bowl (no kneading), let it sit for two hours, and then refrigerate (loosely covered) for up to 14 days. Each day it sits brings out more flavor (like sourdough). When you want bread, cut off a piece, quickly shape, let sit to rise. Bake on a preheated stone at 450 for 30 minutes.

This is brilliant. I am adapting this method for a Martha Stewart bread recipe--remember back in the early 1990s when she still did projects that were reasonable, cheap and useful, like re-wiring broken lamps and home plumbing repairs? This is from that era--you make a regular bread dough recipe with just a touch extra yeast, or use the pot liquor from boiling potatoes as your water. Then you put it in the fridge to rise at least 48 hours. I'm making a double recipe of the regular bread dough because it's just me and DH, and then every night for dinner I'm gonna cut a piece off and bake it in the toaster oven.​

Wow, I had no idea what I'd started with this thread!! What a bunch of great ideas. This week I've made Russian Black Bread and a buttermilk white sandwhich loaf. I used the machine for both but pulled the black bread out and baked it on a pizza stone in a boule shape. Oh man, it is goooood! I've also got a sourdough starter going. It should be ready tomorrow. : )
Also made homemade linguine today, but that's another thread!
wink.png

My first bread was Challah bread as a young teenager. When we lived in Canada the law up there said all store bought bread had to have milk in it and we were lactose intolerant, so I baked every day. When we moved back to the States we got a bread machine and I set it to be ready every morning for breakfast and the kids sandwiches. Our favorite recipe is English Muffins from and old Fleischmann's Yeast recipe book. You will need corn meal or whole wheat flour and an empty tuna can with wholes punched in the un-open end to cut them.

1 C. milk
2T sugar
1t salt
3T margarine or butter

Warm them till the butter is melted and then let them cool till luke warm

1C warm water 105F-115F

put in warm bowl

1pkg active dry yeast

Add to warm water let dissolve, stir in warm milk mixture

3C unsifted flour

Add- beat until smooth

Add 2 to 3 more cups of flour to make a stiff dough

knead on floured surface a couple minutes until the dough is manageable and can be formed into a ball, (it may be a little sticky) place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.

Cover let rise 1 hour till double in size

On a corn meal or whole wheat flour covered surface, divide dough in half, roll or pat to 1/2" thickness, cut with tuna can and let rise on cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal or whole wheat flour about 2" apart. Cover let rise till double about 1/2 hour. preheat fry pans or electric skillet as below.

I use to bake them in an electric skillet at 300 degrees but have been doing them on an electric stove in heavy fry pans at 3 or 4 which is 1 to 2 marks below medium. They need to cook for 10 minutes on EACH side they should be brown but not burnt at the end of 10 minutes. They may be a tiny bit moist in the middle when done since they are intended to be toasted. So if you can't wait to try them, cut one in half, put it back in the hot fry pan and with some butter, bet you've never tasted anything so good before.

It seems like a lot of work, but it is so worth every minute and they freeze really well.

Have you ever checked out Fleishmann's yeast's site lots of recipes there!

http://www.breadworld.com/

Oh! those nice fluffy rolls if you let them rise and punch them down a couple extra times they get even more light and flavorful. Be sure not to add to much flour, smooth as a baby's bottom and only enough flour so you aren't sticking to it constantly with a little flour on your hands.

1a2j50thparty013-1.jpg

Hows that for home made bread- I made all the bread for my Parents 50th Anniversary- 4 of those loaves one being whole wheat, 2 being half whole wheat half white flour and one all white -because of family allergies and diets.

Well I can't touch wheat anymore but I sure had fun when I could! DD and SO do all baking of good food now. DD says it just doesn't taste the same as when I did it though.

For anyone who wants to try the No-Knead Bread, go to YouTube and do a search for it. There are several videos with normal people making it. It seems that a lot of them have changed the method just slightly.

OK got a few ?s

For those doing by hand no machine how are you letting the dough double? I need some ideas here for I do not have a warm place in the house.

Also do you temp your water before adding the yeast?

Thanks

Quote:
I've heard of people rising their bread in a temperate oven with warm water in a pan below the dough, but have never done this myself.

As for the water, I do assure it is warm but not too warm or too cool. It's important for the yeast's reactivity.

Quote:
Hey bjcoop, could you post your frybread recipe please?

Before I was even a twinkle in my dads eyes, he did his internship on the Wondow Rock Navajo reservation. He stayed there as a doctor too for a while I think, maybe 2 or 3 years(?). When I was maybe 7 or 8 (whatever age it is when the front teeth begin to come loose as the permanents are coming in), he took us to that same reservation once and it happened to be a time of some kind of celebration for the Navajo's. I remember trying to eat corn on the cob and it not working too well because of the tooth that popped out at first bite, but the one thing that really has stuck with me all these years was the frybread. I've just never been able to either find any or get around to finding a place to buy any, but now that I'm disabled and have far too much time on my hands and now that you've reminded me of it, I'd like to try my hand at making myself some.

Back
Top Bottom