bantam breeds

lilly6849

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
I want to get a bantam breed chicken but im not sure what to get.Im looking for a beautiful breed thats clean legged,docile and easy to train.

Our brand spanking new barnyard mix bantam babies (Mom is pure black Dad is black with a blackwashed reddish coloration on his neck)
Hatched early yesterday morning
we have them in the brooder box now for a short while before they
go into the farm brooder box.
too teensie and soo cute

The gal we sold him to took the black and white also, she will be breeding Alex with her Ameraucana we'll be getting a couple chicks back in the spring...
263a.png
It's fun to see what develops

At this point they will qualify as titled Easter Eggers that have the most beautiful array of colors and patterns to choose from. BYC has a thread about the EE history and it's fascinating.

If our APA Blue Wheaten Ameraucana (my avatar) wasn't such a noisy hen I'd invest in some EEs but she is so embarrassingly noisy that I don't dare take a chance with any more - but I absolutely adore their human-interaction personality and their predator savvy wariness. My friend has one Amer and 3 EEs and says they are lovely girls but also says they are her noisiest talkative birds.

yesss.gif

We've got new babies

jumpy.gif

yippiechickie.gif

D.gif

The last one to hatch was the first to pip ( the little one with it's wing out asking for you to tell if it's a girl or boy...LOL)
Guess Just for fun, and yes I know you can't feather sex all types of chicks...
2665.png

It's amazing how completely black these chicks are. A lot of black breeds are born black but often with yellow-white down underbellies or wing tips but these chicks look like Cemani chicks - completely black all over!

Romeo & Mario went to live with a nice little boy named Evan in Calhoun County, SC

but we've picked up 2 cute Golden Laced SeabrightXBrahma mixed chicks
And one gray/blue silkie.
not counting the 6 Japanese bantam eggs we have in the incubator, (I saw a snake lurking in the barn, & just couldn't let him have 'em)
and of the two bantys we had from the last hatch some sort of predator killed the female
we still have the male, he's guarding over the new mixed chicks we hatched, the 2 seabright mixes, and 3 lav
& splash orphington chicks, it really is the cutest thing ever to see them all up under his wings like a hen...lol

I kept hoping against hope that the chick would make it -- my farm Mom's experience with raising poultry is that stunted growth chicks usually passed.  I'm just glad it got excellent care with you as long as it lived. :hugs   Hope your child wasn't too heartbroken.  Losing something so tiny and cute.

Thank you for the kind words.

I have kept lots of different breeds of bantam chicken... But the breed I started with is still my firm favorite.... Japanese Bantams.

They are very friendly, docile to hold and pet, great egg layers and super parents. The roosters are so beautiful and come in all sorts of colours.. and they have a placid nature... all my roosters live well together... and I have never had a problem of they overbreeding the hens.

The chicks are like little cotton wool balls.. with tiny legs.

The roosters crows are quite quiet (for a rooster) and the sound does not carry far.

Pretty birds! I love bantams too. For being broody -- bantams still lay a lot of eggs, are generally docile birds, and seem to do better in bad weather than large fowl. Not very many people consider bantams as practical but they've been our best birds in the long run.
Silkies were our first backyard chickens and they've outlasted all our other breeds of chickens. Our oldest is a 6-year-old Partridge Silkie. The Black one is 51/2 and these bantams are great in all kinds of climate.

In 21/2 weeks these are eggs from just the old Black Silkie. Who says old chickens are useless past their pullet year?

Back
Top Bottom