BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they will be laying soon.

Bright combs and wattles.I even caughy them mingling with our older rooster.And when the little cockerel force mated one of thwm they got in the squat position,of course she was forced,but usually they wont do that they just try to scoot from underneath him.

Yes, please do!!!
big_smile.png

Also, if it's not raised-make it easy to walk into & clean out. Give yourself a doorway with a removable litter gusts if doing do litter so you can sweep-shovel-whatever the mess right out. If doing a compost bin the are people who've Incorporated that into their coop & run design or if not then have it close. Saves some work that way.

My birds like branches I trimmed from trees to climb over, sit on, hide under, etc. I think adding various items for height, roosting, etc helps fight the boredom factor. Pallets under a window are great too here. They'll sit on the top hanging out. Just lean it up wherever.

Hi! I am a firm believer in raised coops for YOUR ease of cleaning. I have four coops. Two are raised and two are awaiting being raised in spring - had to separate roosters and the cold came fast. An easy to clean coop is going to be a cleaner coop, and who doesn't like that?
yippiechickie.gif

I have one of these roosts, made from branches, screwed together, in all my pens. All the chicks love them.

Alright! So this is the coop I think we have settled on
Will need to add a couple more ventilation windows at the top, going to insulate and need to put the hardware cloth skirt around the bottom. Anything else??? So excited!!!!
big_smile.png
Any input is welcome!!!!

Just put 12 Blue bantam Cochin eggs in the incubator last night. Never had bantams or Cochins before so I'm looking forward to these babies in three weeks.

Awesome! Good luck!

And you say Blue... Just blue? blue is usually part of blue/black/splash. There are ways to ensure blue though, I just don't see many people specifically breed that way. Blues are my favorite though!

That's great! Post pics when they hatch! I've got Cochin/ brahma crosses hatching this weekend

Good luck! :fl I have a weekend with nothing hatching. :D

Will need to add a couple more ventilation windows at the top, going to insulate and need to put the hardware cloth skirt around the bottom. Anything else??? So excited!!!! :D  Any input is welcome!!!!

I use a similar one as a baby coop. They work fairly well. My only comment would be if you have harsh weather at all, try and protect it. The wood is kinda flimsy, and the sun will break it down. The roof won't stand alot of rain and snow. Mine is on a covered porch of my shop building, and has held up pretty well for 2 years now.

Last edited:
Will need to add a couple more ventilation windows at the top, going to insulate and need to put the hardware cloth skirt around the bottom. Anything else??? So excited!!!! :D  Any input is welcome!!!!

Congrats on your coop choice! How many bantams do you think you will want to get?

Congrats on your coop choice! How many bantams do you think you will want to get?

Thank you! I am planning on 4 or 5...we just want a little group for our backyard
smile.png
It is 107 inches long x 56 inches wide and 72 inches high. You can walk into the pen area, which is nice, They will get plenty of roaming time in our backyard as well, but wanted to have a good sized enclosed pen area when they aren't.

Last edited:
I use a similar one as a baby coop. They work fairly well. My only comment would be if you have harsh weather at all, try and protect it. The wood is kinda flimsy, and the sun will break it down. The roof won't stand alot of rain and snow. Mine is on a covered porch of my shop building, and has held up pretty well for 2 years now.
Thanks for the advice! We are planning on insulating it so it will have an extra layer on plywood on the inside to help firm it up. We do have weather...rain and snow...so will have to see how it does and make adjustments if needed. I was alos thinking as we build of adding some layers of finish to the wood to make it more weather proof. If it doesn't hold up...they may end up being house chickens
hide.gif
LOL!

Last edited:
Thank you! I am planning on 4 or 5...we just want a little group for our backyard:)  It is 107 inches long x 56 inches wide and 72 inches high. You can walk into the pen area, which is nice, They will get plenty of roaming time in our backyard as well, but wanted to have a good sized  enclosed pen area when they aren't.

Good luck with chicken math :p

Thanks for the advice! We are planning on insulating it so it will have an extra layer on plywood on the inside to help firm it up. We do have weather...rain and snow...so will have to see how it does and make adjustments if needed. I was alos thinking as we build of adding some layers of finish to the wood to make it more weather proof.  If it doesn't hold up...they may end up being house chickens:oops:   LOL!

It will be fine, especially because you will likely plan expansion in no time :lau

x2!! Especially with bantam cochins, they're great! :D

Exactly! :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom