Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
As you might remember, I got some eggs from Pocket Farmer. Today I put 15 out of sixteen eggs into lockdown. The one had started but stopped. Mind you this was after the post office took several extra days to get them to me.

They came from Ideal. From what I've read I'll need about 75 more to get a decent starting flock of 8-10!!

I've been quite suprised at the variety of sizes and colors these guys have. I know they're supposed to be barred, 8.5 lbs on roosters, yellow legs, white eggs. I don't know how much barring, height, combs, waddles, hen weights, will black legs eventually turn yellow. White eggs is fairly simple...

Are there any pics posted of good/keeper hollands?

Mine are all still young, I'm hoping they finish out good. I know I really love their personality, mine are all uniform in looks and size, peas in a pod alike. I'll post when I know what color the eggs are.

As you might remember, I got some eggs from Pocket Farmer. Today I put 15 out of sixteen eggs into lockdown. The one had started but stopped. Mind you this was after the post office took several extra days to get them to me.
I'm glad to hear they are doing so well! The Post Office is delivering all of these shipments very slow. Not sure what the deal is, but keeping my fingers crossed!

You should cull unless you want a trait to be an unending problem.

how do you decide? how old do they have to be before you know? I would like to try hatching next year if I can find eggs. I want to learn before I start. Is there something to read or look at. I could never cull I try not to even step on worms
lol.png
but I would not breed them just sell them at auction they wouldn't know they weren't barred rocks

how do you decide? how old do they have to be before you know? I would like to try hatching next year if I can find eggs. I want to learn before I start. Is there something to read or look at. I could never cull I try not to even step on worms
lol.png
but I would not breed them just sell them at auction they wouldn't know they weren't barred rocks
Find a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection. It will have your breed description, along with description and diagrams of all the faults applicable to multiple breeds.

Culling doesn't necessarily mean killing them. It means taking them out of your breeding program. When I cull a hen she goes to my laying flock. I don't use her to hatch from. I only hatch from the best of my flock. If you are hatching you will have to cull cockerels whether you eat them or whatever because you just can't keep them and it soon becomes difficult to even give them away. Unless of course you have a friend who eats them.

Back
Top Bottom