Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely don't want to spend money I don't have to.
Someone suggested getting a few brooder hens and let them do the work for me.  Any thoughts on that?
I started with a brinsea mini advanced and love it. Easy to use, reliable. Only holds 7 eggs though. I recently did upgrade to the octagon 20 but havent used it to hatch yet. Almost all of my Lanshan hens are broody right now, bantam and LF, so no need for the Octagon 20 at the moment, lol. Cant wait to try it out as soon as i get a decent amount of Barred Holland eggs on a daily basis.
Michelle

The ALBC is looking to contact information for Gracie Mae. They would like some information about her line of BH. If anyone has her contact information, please PM me and I will pass it on to Alison at the ALBC.

The ALBC is looking to contact information for Gracie Mae. They would like some information about her line of BH. If anyone has her contact information, please PM me and I will pass it on to Alison at the ALBC.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/20363/graciemae
might be able to google for additional info...I bought hatching eggs from her- not Hollands- a few years ago but don't have contact info. anymore.

I LOVED the chickens I hatched out (silkies).

I don't have any Barred Hollands yet but I'm hoping to have some in the near future. Getting set up with an incubator, etc. Thought I'd go ahead and send you my information and let you know when I actually have birds on the ground. I would definitely like to be on any circulation list that develops.
[email protected]

Dawn Talley
Cross Creek Farms
3260 Creek Stable Road
Tallahassee, FL 32310

Thanks for everyone's input on incubators and brooders. I've found a local breeder of Black Australorps who's willing to sell me a couple of older hens that only lay eggs every other day or so but are good brooders, and some eggs to try them out on. My mother loves brown eggs so I already have a ready-made market. I'm going to order an incubator as well and try hatching both ways before I get Barred Holland eggs. I'll keep everyone posted on how things are progressing.
I'd also like some advice on what kind of bulbs to get for my brooder. I breed dogs and have a whelping box (it's corrugated plastic and easy to clean) and hanging ceramic lamps that I think will be perfect for a brooder, but not sure what kind of bulbs to get. Read in one of my books about someone who uses two red 125 watt lights instead of one 250 watt so if one lamp goes out there is a second heat source. I've also read mixed reviews on different brands of bulbs. Your thoughts about my setup and brands of bulbs will be greatly appreciated.
Next I'll be asking about feeders, food, waterers, and much more I'm sure. I've several books, but there's nothing like learning directly from people with first hand experience.
Thanks again. What a great group you have going.

I have a dozen hatching eggs from my Barred Hollands ready to ship on Tuesday. Offers?
Shipping is $17 to anywhere in the continental US (excluding Alaska) or I'm happy to ship them express (will cost more).

I wanted to post here first, guessing everyone is out for the holiday. The hatching eggs are time sensitive so I'll post elsewhere as well. Hoping they sell but if not, into the incubator they go. This is time sensitive too, I need to have them in the bator by Tues for them to hatch and be a week or so old before my trip to the east coast. My husband will care for my chicks and adults while I'm gone but not incubation so everything stops soon. I've sold my flock to a member here, just too much to do and not enough space for my Araucana's.

I wanted to post here first, guessing everyone is out for the holiday.  The hatching eggs are time sensitive so I'll post elsewhere as well.  Hoping they sell but if not, into the incubator they go.  This is time sensitive too, I need to have them in the bator by Tues for them to hatch and be a week or so old before my trip to the east coast.  My husband will care for my chicks and adults while I'm gone but not incubation so everything stops soon.   I've sold my flock to a member here, just too much to do and not enough space for my Araucana's.  

Where are you going on the east coast?

Flying out to Norfolk for a week and a half to spend time with my grandkids while my daughter in law is on a cruise with her mom and sister. My son will be on duty all night and I'll be there to take care of them all. I return the 20th. My husband will be taking care of my birds while I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom