Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hare are a couple of photos of my 6 month old roos. Please feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad. I'm a little biased to an honest opinion would be helpful. They have been a little rough on each others tail feathers so they are a bit skimpy right now.

MHollow, I don,t know much other than my own observations but your cockrels look pretty good. They have finer barring than the line I have and they also seem to have a deeper chest than mine. I,ve culled down to 2 cockrels and three pullets from this years hatches hope there better than last years. For now just trying to get some size on them. Dave

Took 2 cockerels and 2 pullets out to the poultry shows in Bath, NY this past weekend. Lots of birds entered but mine were the only Barred Hollands there.
sad.png
Trying hard to get this breed back out there. I plan on getting to the Sussex NJ, Maryland and VA Poultry Breeders shows this fall if anyone else can come out with some birds. I've got 20+ eggs in the incubator going right now, a mix from smoothmule's flock and my own.

They
Hare are a couple of photos of my 6 month old roos. Please feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad. I'm a little biased to an honest opinion would be helpful. They have been a little rough on each others tail feathers so they are a bit skimpy right now.
They look pretty good to me! I have finally introduced my new flock (purchased from smoothmule) to my own girls. I don't recall how old they are, but I noticed some immediate and obvious differences in my Sandhill line pullet and these 5 from Gracie Mae. I am splitting a Sandhill chick order in a few weeks, so it will be Hollands out the wazoo! And I have to show you the tshirt I made for the Mother Earth News Fair! Posting pics tonight, hopefully.

This is a Sandhill pullet I hatched via broody hen in early May. She has clean yellow legs, her comb is turning pink, so hopefully I see what color eggs I get in a little over a month.
She is incredibly friendly and prefers to be around me than the other chickens. One of her primary wing feathers has almost no barring on the other side of her body, otherwise, I am pretty proud of her. Thoughts?

This is one of the pullets I purchased from smoothmule. Her legs are clean, but pale, however she was laying prior to my receiving her. I am hoping it is simply a matter of adjustment and we will see eggs from her and her sisters again soon. Thoughts on this Gracie Mae line's barring versus the Sandhill pullet above?

This is the rooster I purchased. He picked a fight with a guinea hen before leaving Missouri, so his tail should grow back just fine. The primary feathers on the wing on the other side of his body are missing, so he look a bit like a seal when he crows and flaps. :) I am not sure if that was the guinea hen or shipping that led to that. My teenage son's first comment (and he pays no attention to the chickens) was that his neck seemed too long. He is not particularly heavy, so I am questioning whether I should use him with my Sandhill pullet or wait until my Sandhill chicks mature. I welcome any and all comments!
* I think the rooster and pullets I purchased will be about a year old in January.

Please tell me if I am wrong or missing something. The only thing I see about leg color in the 2010 SOP is under the White Holland. It states under Shanks and Toes the color should be yellow. If you move ahead to Barred Hollands no mention of shank or toe color is present. Could it be that the yellow shank and toe color only applies to the White Holland?

Back
Top Bottom