Barred Rock and EE Laying Ages???

Anyone want to take a guess as to what my EE will look like as an adult?

107741_img_0166-1.jpg

My BR and EEs from Townline Hatchery all started laying close together, 19-20 wks, with a BR and EE both starting in week 19. This time of year I would think the shorter days might delay things, depending on where you are, lighting, etc.

My BR and EEs from Townline Hatchery all started laying close together, 19-20 wks, with a BR and EE both starting in week 19. This time of year I would think the shorter days might delay things, depending on where you are, lighting, etc.

I figured that would put a damper on things. I just couldn't wait until next year to get them! It should be a little better by the time they are ready to lay.​

Our barred rocks didn't start laying till 22 weeks. And one of them really puts on a show when she sings her egg song. If yours does it too, just give your neighbors some eggs. They will be much more likely to ignore the singing.
smile.png
Good luck and I wish you lots of patience! It's hard waiting for that first egg.

My Barred Rock was the first to lay at about 25 weeks old. I've had EEs who have laid at 20 weeks.

Thats ok with me
big_smile.png

Our barred rocks didn't start laying till 22 weeks. And one of them really puts on a show when she sings her egg song. If yours does it too, just give your neighbors some eggs. They will be much more likely to ignore the singing. Good luck and I wish you lots of patience! It's hard waiting for that first egg.

Well i'm good friends with most of my neighbors and I don't think they would mind unless it keeps them up at night or early in the morning which I don't think will happen. Thanks for the patience! I'm gonna need it
tongue.png

Quote:
Wow the barred rocks are good layers! If my EE takes a while it will be ok as long as the barred rock is laying. I'm just so impatient for that first egg!!!

My barred rock was really good at laying.. before it got cold.. It's her first winter, so I don't know why she's slowing down so drastically
hmm.png

My mutt lays every stinking day! I was going to get rid of her for temperament alone (was so hard to catch, and flighty), but I gave her a chance, and she calmed down so much since she has started laying. She will take 1 day off every 8 days.
My production red is the same as my mutt for keeping it up. My barred rock and Delaware are really slowing down!

My barred rock was really good at laying.. before it got cold.. It's her first winter, so I don't know why she's slowing down so drastically

My mutt lays every stinking day! I was going to get rid of her for temperament alone (was so hard to catch, and flighty), but I gave her a chance, and she calmed down so much since she has started laying. She will take 1 day off every 8 days.
My production red is the same as my mutt for keeping it up. My barred rock and Delaware are really slowing down!

My EE has a really bad attitude! I hope laying calms her down, too. As long as I have one laying during winter it's fine. We blow threw so many eggs a week I need to decrease the cost at least a little but I dont rely on them for eggs.​

When the days started getting shorter, I only had one of my pullets laying. They were all 20 weeks old when one started laying. She was an egg a day for a week then took a day off. After two weeks, on thinking it over I decided to go ahead and put a light in their coop because I wanted them all to at least get started before winter came and the days were really short. We have it on a timer set to come on at 3:30 a.m. and it goes off at 7:30 a.m. Then it comes on again from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Last week we got 3-5 eggs a day. Yesterday and today, we got 6. The girls don't seem to mind that it's gotten chilly. It's funny though, when the light comes on in the coop in the evening, they go inside even though it is just dusk. They really like that light!

Back
Top Bottom