Barred Rock and EE Laying Ages???

My barred was exactly 20 weeks and she lays an egg every 30 hours! Not quite one a day but pretty close...

Awesome
celebrate.gif
I'm really excited!

My EE didn't lay until 28-29 weeks. I thought she was defective! Our others were all laying at about for six weeks at that point.

Mine aren't noisy really, but I'd worry more about smell bothering people. You'll have to really work at keeping it cleaned up, if you are on small lots. I have three chickens, and the quantity of chicken poop is astounding!

I'm not too worried about that. I obsessively cleaned my silkies bedding and the run area was kept clean by the rain. I'm also going to put grass down sometime so it doesnt get too messy. The silkies area didn't smell like chickens until I actually went inside the run area or stuck my head in the coop. I had 3 of them, too.​

Last edited:
My BR was almost 18 weeks when she started laying, 3 weeks later, my next BR started laying, then 2 week after that, my 3rd BR started laying.

I have 3 EE who are 2 weeks younger than my BR, and are now about 22 weeks, and are nowhere near ready to lay. I have been taking my cue from my roo. When he starts doing his man thing with the hens, then I know they will soon be laying.

My BR was almost 18 weeks when she started laying, 3 weeks later, my next BR started laying, then 2 week after that, my 3rd BR started laying.

I have 3 EE who are 2 weeks younger than my BR, and are now about 22 weeks, and are nowhere near ready to lay. I have been taking my cue from my roo. When he starts doing his man thing with the hens, then I know they will soon be laying.

Well I don't have any roosters so I won't know until I see an egg! I don't care if the EE or barred rock take a while to start laying I just want at least one of them to start laying at 4-5 maybe 6 months old.​

My EEs are now 36 weeks old and one is still not laying
1f629.png
. The other one has big blue eggs and started about 5-6 weeks ago. The "baby" of the flock likes to separate herself and tries to get in the house every chance she gets. (She waits on the door mat). BUT at least she doesn't crow. But 36 weeks seems ...unbelievable

Back
Top Bottom