Barred Rock vs Dominicker

I feel your pain, LOL. I was at a flea market once and two guys had a Barred Rock in a cage for sale. I said, nice Barred Rock. One of the guys said, "You know, you're the first person who's called that bird by the right name. Everybody else has called it a Dominecker".

We have Dominiques. The reason we bought them to raise instead of Barred Rocks was the Doms are better in cold weather due to the rose comb.

And now .............. if you or anyone would like a nice young Dom rooster ... please let me know. Sorry to highjack the thread a bit but I promised my dh the extra chicks would be gone by now and they are still here so he is getting ready to kill them. We are in Coshocton Ohio.

Quote:
I just said it to see you get wound up again!
big_smile.png
lol.png
It was a bonus to see the head banging, as well!
lau.gif

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_docmsr_cuckoo-maran-st-run.htm

In
all honesty though...hatchery barred rocks and marans confuse me. Some "marans" have black legs...it's just frustrating to try to decide which is which.

ALSO...as the barred hens age, their legs become less and less yellow because of the eggs that have been laid.

(P.S. I KNOW you did that for the "frustration factor" I just thought I'd give you what you wanted! lol!)

Last edited:
I still dont know what it is we have. LOL
Their legs are white and kinda black on top, lol
they lay brown eggs and are about 6 months old.

edited since i looked at the link and I THINK we have 4 marons

Last edited:
Well, I've now got it settled that I have, and have always had Barred Rocks, but to many neighbors would batch me out if I was to correct 'em, so I'll just keep callin 'em
big_smile.png
Domineckers
big_smile.png
and keep everyone happy! It'd be a lot easier than listenin to all that
old.gif
ya know?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom