Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
ooh, good idea. I've got watermelon rinds in the fridge for them. I forgot all about them. thanks!

All that's left when they're done is a paper thin rind!
lol.png
It's amazing how they eat it down to the skin of the watermelon.

yeah, they must wonder why we humans quit when it's only halfway eaten!
lol.png

I definitely want to offer watermelon sometime this summer, but they haven't liked any fruit that I've given them so far. Maybe it's their age, barely 2 months old.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

dedicateddourly, make sure you get watermelon that has seeds. Their curiosity will overpower them and they'll start pecking the seeds like crazy, then when they taste the melon's flesh they won't stop until it's all gone! Make sure they've got access to dirt or grit though, chicks that age need some help digesting treats.

My birds won't touch banana either, I wonder why?
hu.gif

Early this season, when we were tilling the soil for our raised beds we went to the composter to pull some out, there were SO MANY watermelon volunteers growing inside. They were like weeds! We pull the bedding from the chicken coop and it goes directly into the composter, so I'm guessing all those watermelon seeds got plenty of fertilization.
lol.png

Quote:
Wondering the same about mine. Put an orange in there, one of my RIR's pecked at it for a few minutes then ignored by all four. I put three zucchini slices in there the next day, pecked at, then ignored. The corncob I put in there however was picked clean in a day. Then the wifey threw in some leftover apple and that disappeared within minutes. Just the fun of discovering what they like, I guess.
smile.png

Mine typically LOVE

watermelon, actually any melon
grapes
pears
apples
most types of squash if cooked first
broccoli
Cauliflower raw
cabbage raw
tomatoes
lettuce
sunflowers from the garden
bread
scrambled eggs
yogurt/flax seed
cottage cheese
chicken!
cat food
canned tuna

this is a short list of what I throw in...of course in moderation a they must eat the largest % of their diet of chicken feed.

I've ha some kelp that Ive never used...has anyone put that in the water before

Last edited:
Havent trred kelp, they do bob for grass bits in water though.

mine love summer squashes too, I throw the ends and extra left over bits in there raw and all that is left when they are done is a bit of stem, they will eat it cooked too.
They also get chunks of nasturtiums that have overgrown the garden, they take their time but usually they eat the leaves gone.

Last edited:
Any one here in th ebay area have any dark hatching eggs. I am looking for some for a friend who always gives me eggs to hatch, but she has no dark ones in her flock and she has around 50 or 60 of them, along with some turkeys and ducks. So as a gift to her I was looking for some dark hatching eggs or chicks or any bird that is bound to lay dark eggs

Back
Top Bottom