BE VERY Careful of HOARDER Breeders!!!!

Quote:
I am NPIP, and per THEIR guidelines, I am not allowed to give "tours" of the chicken yards for biosecurity reasons. If I allow people to trample through my coop to "see the conditions my birds are kept in" then my NPIP would be considered null and void.
If someone tells me they won't buy from me because I practice biosecurity and don't let them near my coops, that's fine by me.

I've asked several people to leave my property because they just show up and tried to walk around my pens without permission. One lady didn't even knock on my door first, just walked straight out back to my poultry yard. RUDE.

Is this true for all states or just certain ones? I was never told that if I had people near my birds the NPIP status would be voided. I don't give "tours" anyways, just wondering.

I don't know if it's for all states, or just Ohio. I just know I do what Mike tells me.

I can bring new birds in, as long as I either buy from NPIP, hatch from eggs, or have the new birds tested. I still quarantine everyone for awhile because NPIP doesn't cover everything.

Quote:
Is this true for all states or just certain ones? I was never told that if I had people near my birds the NPIP status would be voided. I don't give "tours" anyways, just wondering.

I don't know if it's for all states, or just Ohio. I just know I do what Mike tells me.

I can bring new birds in, as long as I either buy from NPIP, hatch from eggs, or have the new birds tested. I still quarantine everyone for awhile because NPIP doesn't cover everything.

Thats the only thing I was told, to only purchase from other NPIP breeders.

I am a little bit country I suppose. We have lots of land, a big locked gate, and roaming dogs, so I don't have to worry about anyone stealing my birds. If someone wants to buy my chicks, they are welcome to make an appointment and come and see them. My chicks are kept in giant tubs for easy cleaning and catching, till they are fully feathered out, then they go to grow out pens which are kept completely seperate from people and other chickens. Only I am allowed into the pens.

When people are buying chicks I handle the chicks till they are choosen, then they are handed to their new owners. No one but me handles the tubs they are in. I believe in breed for resistance, and a big part of that is keeping the pens fresh and clean.

I love showing off my birds and my pens. I am proud of what I have. My breding pens are easily viewed from the outside and are kept clean, light and airy. I suppose it helps that my birds are fairly expensive. So if someone makes an appointment, they are serious about buying.

My situation is not ideal for anyone else but it works for me. I would not buy from someone whose birds I could not see, but that is me. I understand why people would not want others coming onto their property for various reasons. We must each do as we feel comfortable, always within reason, and anyone else can blow in the wind.

Lanae

Quote:
I meet people at a gas station. I exhibit, I do have game cams up but I really don't want to do anything to encourage 'human' predators, and I don't want people out here (used to, they would bring their ten kids, which they wouldn't watch, and I use electric netting around my geese and I don't want the liability of either kids and breeding geese or kids and electric fences). If they can't make a decision based on the quality and health of the chicks, then they can go elsewhere. I hate to do it, because I love to share, but I have to protect myself and my birds.

I have first hand experience of human predators. My first flock of birds and waterfowl were stolen from my yard - so no, even if I wasn't NPIP I wouldn't let people near my pens.

Assuming that if someone doesn't let you see everything that they're hoarders is inflammatory.
somad.gif

I won't let just anyone walk on the place and out to the birds. There are too many things that can be carried in between flocks to compromise my birds for a $20 order. I've done and will continue to do videos that show the birds are real. There are too many risks, not just health risks, for allowing strangers access to everything on the property. Do you know who every person is? Too many stories - goats, dogs etc - where someone posed as a buyer and tried to assault the seller once around back. Too many who after a "possible seller" found animals missing. Too many cases of harassment for a difference of opinion.

I don't expect to go to someone's property to pick up birds or eggs. Being considerate of biosecurity and security measures and others respectful of mine is more important.

I have been following this thread with interest. I just can not figure where a buyer figures they have a right to possibly track disease into your poultry yard just because you would like to buy a few chicks. Only selected people ever see my operation and if that is not acceptable with anyone it does not bother me one bit. I just will not risk my fowl to stroke someones ego.

Also I believe this thread was started as a personal attack on someone for personal reasons and things like this should be taken care of with the person you are jealous of to begin with.

Quote:
This thread is two years old and was reignited by someone not checking the dates, a couple pages back. The OP has not posted since 2009. I suspect it was a personal attack, but without the OP we will never know.

I posted 2 years ago that I would only let someone see my flock from a distance. In the ensuing 2 years, after many negative experiences, I no longer allow anyone on the property. Not due to illness, but due to some really scary people. Now, I meet any buyer in a grocery store parking lot for live birds, eggs are left at the drive or delivered.

Back
Top Bottom