Bear with me I am brand new to this...

lilybug51

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Waddy, KY
I successfully raised 8 guinea keets (that's how many I started with) to almost grown (waddles and helmets are coming in. They are currently in a large coop that was already on my property. I want to free range them and I have read to release half for several weeks so they learn to come home. Is 4 guinea enough to try this? Do they need a dust bathing area like chickens? If you could pick ten things every backyard chicken/guinea/poultry raiser needs to keep on hand besides food, water and pine shavings what those be? I have 14 new keets in a brooder right now to add to my flock. First 8 were pearl and new ones are lavender.

I would say 4 would be plenty to free range. I hope you don't have any trouble getting them back in the coop. You might try their favorite snack or like a friend of mine did she rang a bell and they knew it was time to go to the coop.
Mine cleared out their own spot to dustbathe I didn't have to make them any.
Another thing to keep on hand is a flash light if you have to look for them in the dark. I have neosporin, epson salts, vetericyn spray for cuts or scrapes, gauze and that strechy stuff to wrap around the legs to hold the guaze on. I can't think of the name of it right now.
Good luck with them and I hope they go in the coop for you. Watch out for predators because they can pick them off in no time.

update...we failed at letting out half the flock, all of them got out. However they happily marched their little butts right back into the coop first and second night out. I call them with "hey guys hey, sweet keets" anda shake of the mealworm bag. I just love my guineas!

Well, it sounds like you had success overall with their first attempt at free ranging! That's great! Usually once they know home, they'll return and you reinforced them with treats, so that will keep them coming back for more!

From Patty's list, it looks like she covered most of the important things. I'll add a few items I use based on having a flock. I always have a fish net lined with bird netting to help catch them during the day if needed; best to do most things at night in the dark. I use two pool noodles to gently guide the flock if needed. And a camera for taking photos, cuz they're just so cute and we all love to see pics. ENJOY!

Well, it sounds like you had success overall with their first attempt at free ranging! That's great! Usually once they know home, they'll return and you reinforced them with treats, so that will keep them coming back for more!

From Patty's list, it looks like she covered most of the important things. I'll add a few items I use based on having a flock. I always have a fish net lined with bird netting to help catch them during the day if needed; best to do most things at night in the dark. I use two pool noodles to gently guide the flock if needed. And a camera for taking photos, cuz they're just so cute and we all love to see pics. ENJOY!

I love the pool noodle Idea and I never would have thought about having a net!!! I take so many pics of my little flock and I've got 14 more in a brooder box. Any advice on adding birds to the existing flock? They will have to share a coop.

I've had the best luck adding new ones to the flock if they can see each other first before they physically interact - maybe have them in an adjacent run before mixing. Sometimes no matter what I do, it's a bit dicey. Other times, they blend just fine. It's hit or miss for me - no guarantees and they may all get along for a while and then when breeding season hits, all bets are off.

Back
Top Bottom