Bearded Quail

MobyQuail

c. giganticus
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Quailtropolis
hatched this guy nov 15, 2012. will be crossing him to some whites that made the tatanka standards to see if he passes it on,

looks like the blueprint may be

whwh Br+Br+ yw+yw+ e+e+ pi+pi+ hfdTt

Robby from jmf found this on the subject,

This is one of 9 articles I have about this mutation.... hfdTt......

Head skeletal abnormalities associated with the throat tuft mutation (hfdTt) in the Japanese quail.
Poult. Sci. Aug 1990
M Tsudzuki, N Wakasugi
Hereditary abnormalities of head skeleton ascribed to embryonic visceral arch defects were investigated in Japanese quail homozygous for the throat tuft mutation (hfdTt). Differential staining for bone and cartilage of 15-day embryos revealed partial deletion or irregularity in the mandible, basiparasphenoid, hyoid apparatus, and quadratojugal bones, incidences of which were 84, 44, 40, and 18%, respectively. Incidence of the head-skeleton abnormality was 88% when individuals having at least one of the abnormalities mentioned were regarded as abnormal. Throat tuft (hfdTt) and ear tuft (hfd) homozygotes showed distinct differences between them, although both alleles are associated with visceral arch defects.

Last edited:
Moby, how interesting is this....that this abnormality has been seen before AND even studied. It does not surprise me that you would be seeing different mutations in your flocks as well, what with the extensive breeding program you have going. Keep us posted on whether or not the beard continues to be passed down.

GREAT work TD!
wink.png

I have some like that but have mini beard, (I have 1 for sure, i think one of died that had it, i'll post pics up maybe tomorrow
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Back from the grave!

How has this quail done? Have you been able to reproduce or set the mutation?

I hatched an A&M with a similar tuft, and I hope to work with it in breeding. If you have managed to keep these genetics, I would love to swap some eggs with you.

Back from the grave!

How has this quail done? Have you been able to reproduce or set the mutation?

I hatched an A&M with a similar tuft, and I hope to work with it in breeding. If you have managed to keep these genetics, I would love to swap some eggs with you.

Thanks for digging this up! I'm VERY intrigued by this mutation, and would love to know more about it's inheritance. I'm curious if it works in the same way bearded and tufted genes do in chickens?! Should be a great project...keep us posted.

Mine is currently in with 3 hens, and I hope to be collecting eggs fertilized by him in a few weeks.  We shall go from there!

Best of luck with the breeding project! It'd be great to get this mutation well established...its an interesting one for sure.

I just set a dozen eggs from my "mystery mutation" project. No one has been able to identify the exact colors of the parents so I'm quite excited to see what comes from them. They'd look great with a beard/tuft...so Put me on the list for eggs when you're ready :)!

Back
Top Bottom