Best breed for broody hens

Quote:
My concern with Silkies is that they wont be able to cover enough eggs for how I want to hatch my batches. I am thinking about 10-12 Jersey Giant chicks per hen. I am assuming that a single Silkie hen couldn't handle that many eggs/chicks. Is this correct? Thanks!

Opinions differ on Brahma broodiness. My girls are good quality (non hatchery) bred girls and they all been broody, usually from their first year. My biggest hen is broody 3-4 times per year and has hatched (at the age of 3) about 60 chicks so far.

I do not have a single pure bred Brahma that hasn't gone broody and I have about 15.

For non-hatchery birds I agree, Brahmas are some broody gals!

But for hatchery stock, (most of them in the US) they are rarely ever broody. My hatchery girls have yet to go broody and they're all 3 years old.

Broody commonly available breeds include Silkies and Cochins.

Broody uncommon ones included any show/heritage/non-hatchery dual purpose breed and most especially Gamefowl. They're the best.

My Araucanas are serious broody machines, same with my Shamos. My Sussex (imported stock) are also super broody, too.

the best brooders are silkies but for standard sized brooders.. i go for cochins.
big_smile.png

I have a few silkies I hope to do some of that. But my Buff Orps like to go broody and has made a great mamma for 9 weeks. Tonight is her first night in the pen with the big boys and girls.
ya.gif
:hit I know it is time.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the comment on Gamefowl. I listened to Harvey Ussery (www.TheModernHomestead.US ) speak at this year's ACRES USA conference and he mentioned that his Old English game hens superior mothers. In his book, which is EXCELLENT, I read that he is actually trying to develop his own breed of chicken to serve as broody hens. I think what Ussery is doing is great.

Any ideas on a good source of hatching eggs for gamefowl?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom