best hatchery for salmon faverolles?

KathrynB

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Well out of my first batch of chicks it looks like I might have a roo(ill wait till he crows to give him away tho.) So now I'm in the market for some salmon faverolles and maybe a bantum d'uccle anyone know the best hatchery for faverolles? Pictures would be great! Thanks everyone!

What is important to you in a Faverolles chicken? I suspect from any hatchery it's a bit of a toss of the dice. Meyer/MPC (same stock) has a lot of "mahagony" colored genetics and it's a toss up if you'll get a Salmon Faverolles or a "what is it". Sometimes you get a really nice bird, other times not so much. I've personally gotten some bad genetics from them and some good genetics. Such is the way of a hatchery.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

We have been working for quite some time, to improve the color of our Salmon Faverolles. This year our stock is looking great and back on track. Please, don't hesitate to consider us! We would be happy to work with you.

these are my murray mcmurray chicks they are cute & really fluffy.... one is super mouthy
They are sooooo cute!!!
love.gif

Here are mine from Ideal. They were hatched May 2 so almost two months old. Some are light, some are dark but all are cute and healthy. The rooster is really obvious. You can only get them from Ideal certain times of the year. I believe February to June. I had to get on the waiting list.

and at one day old

I hate to step on toes but I highly, highly recommend going with a local breeder over a hatchery. The Faverolles are some of the sweetest breeds and our girls are great layers and get along great. They seem to be one of our easiest breeds to integrate newcomers into. Our rooster is my daughter's showmanship bird even. The females shouldn't have all of the darkness that I'm seeing in the photos here. Hatcheries are not necessarily going to spend the time/money/care to work on keeping the genetics clean and keeping the breed as close to standards as possible to conserve the true quality, personality, and beauty of them. We raise the Bantam Salmon Faverolles and we're always sharing about them because it would be great if more folks chose to raise them. You don't find them terribly easy but there ARE breeders out there working wholeheartedly on them. :) Just my humble 2 cents -

After 1+ year I return to post. Bought chicks Salmon Faverolles from My Pet Chicken and from Cackle. Winner is ...Cackle.
I got rid of all the hens from MPC because, even if the salmon color was better, the hens from Cackle were of better shape, bigger and fluffier.
But also I got rid of many of those. ..I hatched many chicks and kept always the best ones.
In the end I sold in Craigslist some beautiful hens.
I suggest to buy many of them (you can always sell some), because always will arrive the pullet looking like a cockerel, or some copper color and many with black beards.
They are really sweet and they do keep laying in winter.

I was thinking Meyer or mpc anybody had good or bad luck with their faverolles

What is important to you in a Faverolles chicken? I suspect from any hatchery it's a bit of a toss of the dice. Meyer/MPC (same stock) has a lot of "mahagony" colored genetics and it's a toss up if you'll get a Salmon Faverolles or a "what is it". Sometimes you get a really nice bird, other times not so much. I've personally gotten some bad genetics from them and some good genetics. Such is the way of a hatchery.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom