Best pre-made coop?

I can dig up some of my pen designs and pictures tomorrow if that helps. My pheasant pen is 12'x12' and cost about $300 to build. It is 8' high
That’s so nice of you - but my bigger problem right now is a lack of time. I just started a new job and I have little kids, so I just don’t want to spend my down time building a coop for days... :) sounds like a better project for when the kids are older.

The prefab coops tend to be smaller than what they say.
Meaning if it says 3-4 chickens it’s better for only two.
My coop supposedly can fit up to 18 birds...:lau
Yeah...no...
I currently have 5 in it and I think I could get away with about 9 or 10 but definitely not 18.
The “run” area is usually the bigger problem.
If you can’t free range your birds you want a minimum of 10 square feet per bird in the run!
That doesn’t include space taken up by feeders/waterers.
They will be much less likely to have aggression problems if they have enough space.
Perhaps you could afford a coop for 6 chickens even though you’ll only have 3 in it?

That’s so nice of you - but my bigger problem right now is a lack of time. I just started a new job and I have little kids, so I just don’t want to spend my down time building a coop for days... :) sounds like a better project for when the kids are older.
It is not hard to do. A days project.

A neighbor purchased a pre-fab, lasted her less than a year :( It's up to you but really wasting your monies. With only 3 chicks, you could start them in a plastic bin with MHP, look for (CL) a dog kennel (chain link) not crate. Set up the kennel in the yard, put a plastic dog house in it & shade cloth over the top.

They don't give the actual dimensions of the coop part so I'm guessing, but it looks like 30"x30" of actual coop floor space. That's enough for 1 1/2 standard chickens. It's also not really built in such a way that you could alter the entire structure into a coop, which you can do with some premades. You'd be far better off buying something like a small shed and altering it into a coop by adding roosts, cutting a few vents, and adding nest boxes.

Don't buy the coop you're thinking about--that one really only has half the livable space in the specs. I have a prefab coop and 2 years later it's falling apart and only currently housing 2 hens. I'm almost finished building a much more suitable home but this is what mine looked like when it was new: I raised it up on a 2x6 frame with a hardware cloth apron around the outside.
IMG_1976 2.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/SummerHawk-R...32210&sr=8-1&keywords=summerhawk+chicken+coop
I purchased mine at Costco for a lot less but still a waste of money. At least I found out that I really do love having chickens and now I know it's totally worth it to build your own (when you have time). Even the "extra large" size of this one requires a lot of free-range time. I used to let them in my yard every day until they practically ruined it. A few months later the coop was moved to the whole enclosed side area of my house where they can scratch and destroy all day long to their hearts content.

Some things to remember with a prefab is you will have to ADD MORE VENTILATION (which I did do but not shown in this pic) and something I did not do... SEAL IT WITH WEATHERPROOFER! And caulk any gaps if you want it to last through winter.

With a prefab, the hens will spend all day in the run area, not the tiny coop area unless it's time to lay an egg. The roost bars cover the small floor space and there's just no room to hang out. Food and water will also probably have to go in the run, so a fully covered one would be better, especially in case it rains. Maybe this could work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...8&qid=1525930986&sr=8-3&keywords=chicken+coop
but bigger would be better. At least keep to something that's raised and utilizes run space underneath the coop. That one little ventilation window won't be enough. If it's too stuffy inside your hens won't go up to roost at night and maybe even start laying eggs elsewhere. Cut out giant holes in all the upper coop walls and cover with hardware cloth for ventilation. If you can let them out in your yard (or a section of yard) all day then the tiny coop space is less of a concern.
Of course, you'll have to make sure you never get more than 3 chickens :lau
Even though these prefabs are convenient, you'll still need to make some modifications to to keep your hens healthy and safe.

They don't give the actual dimensions of the coop part so I'm guessing, but it looks like 30"x30" of actual coop floor space. That's enough for 1 1/2 standard chickens. It's also not really built in such a way that you could alter the entire structure into a coop, which you can do with some premades. You'd be far better off buying something like a small shed and altering it into a coop by adding roosts, cutting a few vents, and adding nest boxes.
Exactly!......and it would totally buried in snow in MN.

That one is even smaller.

and everyone was just asking for more than what my budget allows.
sounds like a better project for when the kids are older.
Might be better to put the whole thing off until your kids are bigger and you have more budget. Chickens are going to need lots of weather protected space in your climate during the winter. Keeping chickens is not cheap and it can be very time consuming when you don't have proper housing for them.

I just ordered this one, it arrives tomorrow. They also had a coupon for $100 off, no tax, and free shipping. I don't have the time or skill to build my own. I talked to a couple of people that couldn't beat the price point enough that it was worth the wait and the scheduling aggravation. I did a ton of research and settled on this one. The ship weight is 530 pounds, so I'm hoping it will be as sturdy as the reviews say.
https://overezchickencoop.com/product/medium-over-ez-chicken-coop/

Back
Top Bottom