Best rodent resistant storage

Galvanized garbage cans, available in various sizes.

You may have to add a locking mechanism if you have persistent raccoons.
x2, though be aware that many of them (the ones with the top grip handle on the lid) have small gaps around the lid handle, which you may need to seal/caulk to keep rain out. I keep my galvanized cans under a open roofed shelter.

Also have them up on something to block dampness from the ground or concrete floor. I have mine on blocks slightly above the floor, in the roofed run. Also have a couple of empty feed bags under the feed bags in each container.
Don't dump the feed into the garbage cans, leave it in the bags from the store. It will keep better, and if there's an issue with one bag of feed, it can go back to the store, or be managed by the manufacturer.
Mary

Last edited:
:welcome :frow I agree with @Folly's place. I use buckets but that is only because I have a lot of birds and I'm old and the buckets are easier for me to handle. I do keep scratch treats in a galvanized trash can with a lid that fits quite tight inside my barn. Never had any issues. I did have a rat infestation in one coop which I renovated and dozens of rats of all sizes poured out when I started taking out the ceiling and walls. I tried several things but kept seeing the rats and in the barn too which is behind the coops. I bought some rat bait stations and put them in a pet carrier up on a shelf so nothing but the rats could get to the baits and eventually the rats disappeared. I believe they went into the tunnels I saw around the barn and coops and died and that's why I didn't find any dead rats laying around. Good luck...

we use 55 gal drums and a old unworking freezer. hubby removed motor and used hardware cloth to keep them from nesting there. it works amazing, we store the feed about 3/4 full and store the feeders in at night.

Back
Top Bottom