Bielefelder thread!!!!

How is Pip doing today?
I think she's doing better! She was out and about, eating, drinking, sitting in the sunny spot. I tried to put some green food coloring on her vent, so I could see if she laid anything. I got some green on her butt feathers, on my fingers, on her vent....? not sure. I'll try again tomorrow.

She's getting Amoxicillin twice a day and a calcium pill. She'll take the Amox from my fingers, but I have to open her beak to get the calcium in.

I think she's doing better! She was out and about, eating, drinking, sitting in the sunny spot. I tried to put some green food coloring on her vent, so I could see if she laid anything. I got some green on her butt feathers, on my fingers, on her vent....? not sure. I'll try again tomorrow.

She's getting Amoxicillin twice a day and a calcium pill. She'll take the Amox from my fingers, but I have to open her beak to get the calcium in.
Yes, I know that it can sometimes be hard to get animals to take medication. I had to buy one of those pill crushers to crush up the one that I have to give to my dog twice a day, and then I have to mix it in a small bowl of food to get it into him. He's not supposed to have it on an empty stomach. He's going to be 13 years old this month on the 24th and I'm doing my best to make sure that he will at least make his next birthday.

I was thinking of getting one for the calcium, which is huge. She took it, dropped it, ignored it. So I had to get another one, pull down her wattles, and stuff it in. I hope she will continue to take the Fishmox from my fingers. That's easy.
It would work. Just crush it up and mix it into a bit of wet feed. I've never known a chicken that didn't love them some wet feed.

One of my Bieles appears to be going broody. She's been laying for a few weeks and is not 11 months old yet. Her eggs are infertile so there is no reason to let her sit on them. What is the best way to stop this behavior?

She was beginning to spend a long time sitting in the nesting box, but I removed eggs daily. Yesterday I found her sitting on three eggs under a rosemary bush and I think two of them were from the other girls. I put her into the pen with the others for the night and she frantically ran circles around the perimeter looking for a way out before finally settling in a nest in the coop. I checked on her at sundown and she was still sitting on the nest, so I assume she spent the night there. I'll remove the eggs this morning.

Will she eventually give up if I keep flushing her from her nesting spots and removing the eggs? It was my understanding that Bieles don't tend to go broody, so wasn't really pleased to have this happen soon as the bird started laying.

Yes, these hen's can go broody, and @Sally PB is right about using that solution if you don't want her to sit and hatch. The cooler air has to be able to keep her underside cooled down, and that is the reason why the cage needs to be up off of the ground as shown in the article at the link that she gave to you.

Thank you both for the info! I'll cool her bottom if this keeps up.

She wasn't too interested in the nest this morning, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
Before I had the Bielefelder's, I had a White Breese hen that was broody for close to a month and a half. That's not good for a hen to do that as they can get weak and skinny and waste away. If you don't want to hatch, it is best to break them as soon as they show signs of going broody. A hen that is going broody will start making a funny soft clucking sound.

Back
Top Bottom