Bielefelder thread!!!!

Before I had the Bielefelder's, I had a White Breese hen that was broody for close to a month and a half. That's not good for a hen to do that as they can get weak and skinny and waste away. If you don't want to hatch, it is best to break them as soon as they show signs of going broody. A hen that is going broody will start making a funny soft clucking sound.
Will listen for that chuckle, too. Mostly just hearing loud ba-cucks. I have no rooster so there is no chance to hatch. Have been through a broody duck that sat on a few eggs with no luck for well over a month, so I know what you mean about the weight loss.

They are very happy, eating and drinking well. They are tame, very confident, exploring everywhere and stretching their beautiful little wings. They don't object to being touched or picked up. They just sit in our hands and look at us curiously. We are trying to give them time to adjust to their new home but it's hard not to pet them, they are incredibly cute. Pictures coming soon!

Last edited:
I made a small pen in the backyard so the chicks could spend some time on what little grass we have right now. They got to do things they can't do in the brooder: scratch in the dirt, peck at grass and bugs, take dust baths - they all piled onto one spot that apparently had the softest dirt. It was in the 80s today but I kept the brooder plate plugged in with them just in case they wanted a little private retreat now and then.

They were there for about four hours. One of us was with them all the time. I kept an eye on the sky but didn't see any hawks around. The chicks seemed thoroughly contented. I swear one was smugly saying to the others, "I told you guys there was more out here than that big box we live in."

Our dogs continue to be disinterested. The chicks are never where the dogs can get at them, but the dogs can smell and see them. They look at the chicks for just a few moments: "Huh. Those peepy things are weird." Then they go off and do their own thing. The chicks don't seem to notice the dogs at all.

I made a small pen in the backyard so the chicks could spend some time on what little grass we have right now. They got to do things they can't do in the brooder: scratch in the dirt, peck at grass and bugs, take dust baths - they all piled onto one spot that apparently had the softest dirt. It was in the 80s today but I kept the brooder plate plugged in with them just in case they wanted a little private retreat now and then.

They were there for about four hours. One of us was with them all the time. I kept an eye on the sky but didn't see any hawks around. The chicks seemed thoroughly contented. I swear one was smugly saying to the others, "I told you guys there was more out here than that big box we live in."

Our dogs continue to be disinterested. The chicks are never where the dogs can get at them, but the dogs can smell and see them. They look at the chicks for just a few moments: "Huh. Those peepy things are weird." Then they go off and do their own thing. The chicks don't seem to notice the dogs at all.
Too bad you didn't take a picture of them doing that.

Playtime in the backyard!

Exploring.
1711259329333.jpeg

Preening.
1711259377693.jpeg

The coveted dust bath spot.
1711259406208.jpeg

Pile on!
1711259467215.jpeg

Dust bath blur.
1711259444169.jpeg

Close ups.