Black and Tan Coonhound experiences

kerusnak

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2015
South Mississippi
My dad passed away this week and had just taken in a sweet 1.5 yr old black and tan that wandered out of the woods in the ozark mountains. He had nursed her back to health and got her spayed and planned to keep her. My mom can't stay in the remote area alone and handle the coonhound with a lab and cat alone. We took the coonhound in (Olive) but we have chickens and a potbelly pig. Right now the chickens are penned in the run due to a bobcat issue but Olive doesn't seem to care too much about them, perhaps she had lived near them before. We sometimes free range them though. With the pig she acts like she does with the other dog, jumping and wagging her tail and touching noses through the fence. I wouldn't imagine I'd ever leave her alone unsupervised with the other animals but she seems like a good livestock guardian and I like the warning barks she gives when she see's or hears people. If she seems to work out for us (which I'd love to keep her in memory of my dad) I was thinking we could get one of those 10x10 chain link kennels to leave her in when we aren't home and let her out in the yard when we are. We have a big shop that is heated and cooled that she can sleep in at night or stay in the rain. She gets along well with the cat who we are also keeping and will live in the shop. We have an acre with a chain link fence and plan to fence in the entire 4 acres soon. We don't hunt or go running or anything so I'd worry she wouldn't get enough exercise. She likes fetch and tug of war. I'm wondering if that would be enough exercise and we could have a suitable home here. Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful!

We had a B+T coonhound, he was very active when young. He didn't bother the chickens or goats but would chase anything smaller and furry like cats, squirrels, rabbits, and chipmunk. You are lucky yours is good with your cat.

They will follow their nose and will wander off if you don't keep an eye on them.

Otherwise they are nice goofy dogs that do okay outside if acclimated to it. Most coonhounds spend their time penned or chained until they are hunted. She will need a daily run, ball playing is great.

I agree, sounds like she has a good home.

My brother had one. Great dog. We kept him in the house a lot. Be aware that when they get a scent and start trailing it, they become stone deaf and won't hear a thing you say. I swear their brain just shuts off.

I have a bluetick coonhound and we don't hunt, we don't even have a fenced yard and she stays on a leash so I was worried about her not getting enough exercise but she goes on a long walk every day and sometimes 2 long walks a day at first it looked like she was really over weight but I soon realized it was just coonhound fat

I think you're looking too far into this you clearly want what's best for the dog. But it sounds like the dog has a pretty good living situation.

Just like everybody said that dog catches a scent you could follow it forever... all dogs need exercise but I feel like hound dogs can be perfectly fine as lazy dogs ... U can always get it a friend dogs love playing with other dogs!! It cost more money to have two dogs but it takes less time because they will play with each other and not need you as much!

1 Acres is pretty small once you get to 4 and it's fenced in you dog will be perfectly fine finding things to do by its self.

It is possible it could be a deterrent because how alert they are and how much they howl. However The way hound dogs teeth are set up it's not really for tearing apart so unfortunately if there is a fight your dog will not stand a chance.

This breed is not a protector of flocks more of a finder and Hunter of flocks but it doesn't mean they can't coexist just know your dogs limitations!

Back
Top Bottom