Black Copper Marans discussion thread

So more than likely the mossy chicks will not molt out? I have some that I have no hope for and bad, but 1 is just faint on a few feathers.

In mine, and this is just my experience, they didn't look as brown as they did as chicks, but if you put one beside a true black, it was noticeable. The real problem was the cockerels. They would have way too much color on their breasts

Yeah, like you aren't going to post pictures of those
gig.gif
lau.gif
I was listening to some old hippie music and reading this post. Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction. It looked like Cartman was lip synching. Made it even funnier! I am going to play "Paint it Black" and see how he does!

Last edited:
So more than likely the mossy chicks will not molt out? I have some that I have no hope for and bad, but 1 is just faint on a few feathers.
Kentuckyhen, If you have any confidence at all in the provenance of your birds, I would strongly urge you not to cull your birds until they have grown out.

If you are serious about Black Copper Marans chickens, Or any chicken that you would like to breed to it's standard, I would say that you will learn alot more with your eyes, ears and hands working with your own birds. There is a difference between an overcolored cockerel, which can be identified relatively early, and a pullet or young hen, that may show some brown in it's fledgeling state. I have seen this fairly routinely, in hens that later develop to be very nice specimens. (I would also say that the white feathers that are often evident in fledgelings, will mostly disappear in adult hens.

I myself would not refer to an overcolored cockerel, as mossy. They are overcolored. Some of the more sophisticated genetic experimenters can explain the mossy color in hens better than I can, but I think they would also agree that it is far too early to even consider culling them. And in any case... they are hens. They will make you a nice breakfast, (or someone a nice breakfast) .

I realize I am only recently out of the "new egg" status myself. I was sad when I moved out of that ridiculous status. (LOL). My measly 250 posts have mostly been made asking questions or lately answering questions that I know the answer to. But I have been raising birds for over 45 years and I know what I am talking about. Pay attention to the overall health of your flock. Practice good hygiene and biosecurity. (Importing outside birds is a risk that should not be taken lightly.... biologically and genetically,) You don't always know what you are getting. Pay attention to their vigor, their feathering, Secure your coop. You could theoretically go out and buy birds with a fabulous reputation, and, if they turn out well, you will still have chickens.... very expensive breakfast makers that will have the same health and security requirements of any other chicken. Let them grow out. Get them healthy. Then you can see what you have. If the birds you already have breed true, you will be ahead of the game. There are alot of variables with this breed. There is the coloring. There is the type..... the eye, the skin, the feathered leg.... the color of the hackle....and on top of that, the variable of the egg color. Alot of moving parts. Have patience and work with your birds. They may not be "perfect" but they are yours and you will know what you have.

Kentuckyhen, If you have any confidence at all in the provenance of your birds, I would strongly urge you not to cull your birds until they have grown out.

If you are serious about Black Copper Marans chickens, Or any chicken that you would like to breed to it's standard, I would say that you will learn alot more with your eyes, ears and hands working with your own birds. There is a difference between an overcolored cockerel, which can be identified relatively early, and a pullet or young hen, that may show some brown in it's fledgeling state. I have seen this fairly routinely, in hens that later develop to be very nice specimens. (I would also say that the white feathers that are often evident in fledgelings, will mostly disappear in adult hens.

I myself would not refer to an overcolored cockerel, as mossy. They are overcolored.  Some of the more sophisticated genetic experimenters can explain the mossy color in hens better than I can, but I think they would also agree that it is far too early to even consider culling them. And in any case... they are hens. They will make you a nice breakfast, (or someone a nice breakfast) .

I realize I am only recently out of the "new egg" status myself. I was sad when I moved out of that ridiculous status. (LOL). My measly 250 posts have mostly been made asking questions or lately answering questions that I know the answer to.  But I have been raising birds for over 45 years and I know what I am talking about. Pay attention to the overall health of your flock. Practice good hygiene and biosecurity. (Importing outside birds is a risk that should not be taken lightly.... biologically and genetically,) You don't always know what you are getting. Pay attention to their vigor, their feathering, Secure your coop. You could theoretically go out and buy birds with a fabulous reputation, and, if they turn out well, you will still have chickens.... very expensive breakfast makers that will have the same health and security requirements of any other chicken. Let them grow out. Get them healthy. Then you can see what you have. If the birds you already have breed true, you will be ahead of the game.   There are alot of variables with this breed. There is the coloring. There is the type..... the eye, the skin, the feathered leg.... the color of the hackle....and on top of that, the variable of the egg color. Alot of moving parts. Have patience and work with your birds. They may not be "perfect" but they are yours and you will know what you have.
Thank you for a much more educated answer. It needs to be noted that the chickens I posted pictures of were horribly bred, and mossy chicks was the least of their faults. That entire flock was culled. I will post more pictures of the new chicks a little later today

I can take individual pictures later, but the wind is howling this morning so I'm not taking them out. Here's the current group at 12 days. I think two of them are several days older

A few are a little dark, but not as dark as my first chicks. One is a little mossy, but most have way more white look than my first batch.
Thoughts?

I can take individual pictures later, but the wind is howling this morning so I'm not taking them out. Here's the current group at 12 days. I think two of them are several days older

A few are a little dark, but not as dark as my first chicks. One is a little mossy, but most have way more white look than my first batch.
Thoughts?

I think I can't wait to get mine!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Thank you for the pictures!

And here is a side by side of my first chicks that Don warned me were too dark. I can't believe the difference

SC, the color on these looks real good for their age. If you would like maybe once a week take another picture and post here. Do all of the chicks have feathered Shanks ? When buying chicks they should all be feathered shanks and feet. Just do not accept non feathered leg chicks. looking good.

SC, the color on these looks real good for their age. If you would like maybe once a week take another picture and post here. Do all of the chicks have feathered Shanks ? When buying chicks they should all be feathered shanks and feet. Just do not accept non feathered leg chicks. looking good.
I will Don, thanks. All shanks are feathered, and a uniform color. Thank goodness...
I can't believe the difference in the side by side. They don't even look like the same breed

Back
Top Bottom